Notices

97 civic ex coupe power loss

Old 07-11-2008, 02:24 PM
stimrob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 civic ex coupe power loss

Hi guys I am new here. The search isn't working so if this is a re-post I'm sorry. I am hoping some of you can give me some ideas about my situation.

I have a 97 civic ex coupe. I think the motor is a D16 series (I will get you specific info if it is extremely relevant) with 160k miles. I have owned it for about 2 years and I got it with ~136K miles. I am not sure about repair history before me, when I bought it, it needed CV joints and I have done regular maintenance , changed the oil every 3k miles etc.

Recently I started noticing that from about 2k-3k rpm the motor seems to bog down. I replaced the plug wires, the distributor and the rotor. A few months ago it also had a new air filter and spark plugs. There is no check engine light , and gas mileage has not suffered , still get around 30 mpg. The engine starts just like it always has - right away with no fuss, and idles at about 700 rpm. I am thinking it may be a fuel filter, but I thought the idle and starting would be affected.

If you have any thoughts, I would love to hear it.
Thanks again for reading!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Civic2Scooby

fuel filter.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:25 PM
stimrob

how hard is the fuel filter to replace and what is the usual cost involved (if you know )?
Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by stimrob
how hard is the fuel filter to replace and what is the usual cost involved (if you know )?
Thanks again.
depends on when the last time you had it changed. but if you have hand tools and about 30 minutes of time you are all set. Filter its self is like 20 bucks if I remember correctly.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
remy

Originally Posted by stimrob
Thanks again.
it is easy as hell to do...the fuel filter is right in the open by itself, it has no obstruction whatsoever!!!

Easy stuff!!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:20 AM
b.st0ne

i got the same problem in my civic dx hatchback 97 it would be great if somone can post step by step procedure on how to do it thanks.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:25 PM
stimrob

b.stone, i just did the filter. It was 30 bucks and took about 45 minutes (the old one was stuck in there pretty good) Hit up your local parts store and grab a Chiltons or Haynes repair manual, its definitely worth the 15 bucks. In the mean time, this is similar to the instructions in the manual.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0152906AA9QdN4
Good Luck
Old 07-12-2008, 09:01 PM
b.st0ne

thanks stimrob i read it n figured it out .. very helpful now ill try to change it sometime in the next few days thank you
Old 07-13-2008, 01:19 PM
thetunersource

yea dont think about it too much, its just remove and replace
Old 07-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Alfred5279

could also be the Oxygen Sensor. If the fuel filter dont work then try oxy sensor. Considering the mileage you have, it may be time for a new one. I've had several hondas-acuras with that much mileage.. most of the time it was the oxy sensor.. One other time it was the fuel pump.. but you would most likely hear the fuel pump act up. its located under the back seats. so if you turn the key to the position just before cranking you will hear it. it should hum. if it sounds sputtery, then fuel pump it is..

Try Oxygen sensor first. i would stay away from original honda part from dealership cuz it cost an arm and a leg. you can get it at the autoparts store for much cheaper.