Notices

new radiator - any tips on the honda install?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:34 AM
snosurfa7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new radiator - any tips on the honda install?

Putting a new radiator in on my 96 HX - any heads up/tips on stuff the haynes manual doesn't say?

Like removing the "splash guard"? Or is it easier just to take off the bumper?

Done 3 radiators before in my jeep but never in the honda. Looks pretty straightforward but any heads up for any potential hang-ups in the process would be appreciated (seized bolts, difficult access parts, etc...)

thanks
Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 AM
i6h000

If it's an automatic, disconnect the transmission lines to the radiator at the tran itself and not at the radiator connections. Remove fan and radiator as one assembly.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by snosurfa7
Putting a new radiator in on my 96 HX - any heads up/tips on stuff the haynes manual doesn't say?

Like removing the "splash guard"? Or is it easier just to take off the bumper?

Done 3 radiators before in my jeep but never in the honda. Looks pretty straightforward but any heads up for any potential hang-ups in the process would be appreciated (seized bolts, difficult access parts, etc...)

thanks
two bolts up top. undo hoses, disconnect fan connections, pull up.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:35 PM
snosurfa7

What about draining the fluid? The drain plug is at the base right? So do you take off the bumper to drain the fluid straight down without having it spill all over the place?

thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by snosurfa7
What about draining the fluid? The drain plug is at the base right? So do you take off the bumper to drain the fluid straight down without having it spill all over the place?

thanks
I just yank the lower rad. hose
Old 06-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Black99EM1

not sure if it's the same on your car, but on my 99 si there was a hole in the splash guard where i could reach the drain plug and the coolant came out without too much of a mess. there was just one bracket up top holding the radiator down against the rubber bushings at the base. after it was drained, i removed the hoses and bracket then pulled the whole thing straight up and out. once out, remove the fan assembly and swap this to your new radiator and reverse the process. make sure when putting it back in your get it to sit in the rubber bushings at the bottom. when i did it i kept knocking them to the side, you want to make sure everything is sitting flush at the bottom before trying to bolt it in. i would suggest replacing your hoses as well. also, i ran into a leak from the new radiators drain plug so you might want to buy a regular plug, basically a bolt and put teflon tape on it to ensure a good seal. try not to spill any coolant when refilling or you'll smell it for a while and think you're leaking. good luck!