Notices

Strange sound in a new-used car

Old 06-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Kaeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sound in a new-used car

Hi all!

I just recently acquired a 1997 Honda Civic LX with 125k miles. I bought it majorly discounted and I know I've got some work cut out for me, but I'm having a hard time diagnosing a sound. It sounds kind of like when a brake pad just starts to rub against the rotor, only not as loud. I feel like it's in the transmission, however, because the sound only occurs when the tranny is engaged. It's moderately loud in 1st gear, gets quiet in 2nd and 3rd gear, then pretty much goes away altogether in 4th and 5th. It also seems to be louder when down-shifting or coasting with the tranny engaged (no gas) than when accelerating.

Does this sound like a transmission problem?

The previous owner told me it was a loose bolt on the main shaft, but that doesn't make any sense to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
thetunersource

is it an auto or 5 speed?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Nitta Boa

I just dealt with a similar-sounding sound that was a loose heat shield. Tightened it down with some hose clamps...
But it also made the noise just idling.

Mike
Old 07-01-2008, 04:53 PM
eg626

sounds like either ur synchros or ur diff.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:47 AM
mattc28

Yeah, my car was making a noise like that... one of the little metal clamps that hold the brake pads into the calipers, one was bent and it would rub at random times. It could also be the throwout bearing....
Old 07-03-2008, 09:54 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Sounds like bearing(s) noise. My '92 5speed has a little noise, though relatively quiet, at certain speeds in 5th (too fast and the wind noise prob. covers it up), and if you get the revs us in 1st and then put the clutch in (leaving it in gear) it's a fairly loud whine. Doing the same thing in 2nd produces a much more muted (can barely hear) whine and there's none in 3rd-5th.

In my case at least, I'm confident it's either the mainshaft bearing - which can in some cases make noise due do it's "cage" being broken, allowing the balls inside to move around to a limited degree - and/or another bearing(s) in the transmission.
I don't think it's the bearings of the individual gears though that's the issue, despite the diff. from one gear to another.

Some people have driven their cars for years with that noise, believing it to be the mainshaft bearing, without any problems and without it getting worse. Mine has done it since I got it a couple years ago, and doesn't seem any worse now.
Regardless though, unless you're going to take it apart and replace the bearings, all you can do is keep fresh MTF in there and maybe get a magnetic drain bolt (just in case).

Last edited by A-series; 07-03-2008 at 09:57 PM.