Notices

A/C help kinda

Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 AM
abel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C help kinda

Hey guys... I'm a noob to the site but not to civics. Anyhow I just got a 95 civic 4dr and the AC blows cold if I hold down the button. I mean I have to push on it for it to stay on. So the 1st thing I want to try was switch out the control unit, but I can't get it out. I cut the shot out of my hands trying. I did a search for this and couldn't find anything. Money is tight right now so I can’t buy the book. Any info would help!

Thanks!
:hsd:
Old 06-14-2008, 03:36 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

I have the same issue with my '92. I've learned to live with it as once the interior has cooled down enough, it tends to stay on by itself, without constant pressure. I'm guessing that there's cracks in one or more soldered connection, maybe re-flowing that would be a cheap fix but I haven't bothered to try.

If memory serves me: to remove the HVAC control unit, first remove the lower section of the center stack and then you have to reach up and remove two screws/bolts at the back of the HVAC unit, allowing it to be pulled out. At some point in the process you'll need to disconnect the electrical wires and the heater core cable.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:33 AM
tigerafro
95 Civic EX

my a/c is running hot now. is it because i need more freon?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:45 PM
thetunersource

probably
Old 06-19-2008, 08:28 AM
NOOdS

maybe you might just have a faulty switch?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:07 PM
tigerafro
95 Civic EX

where would i find the switch? the a/c goes in and out. some times hot sometimes cold.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

If your problem is the same as mine and abel's, meaning the HVAC control unit itself, try pushing hard on the A/C button or (what I do)applying pressure to the recirculate button or right below it.

If that fixes the problem temporarily, meaning it will then stay on, chances are you need to take apart the HVAC unit (if it can actually be fixed) or get another one from a dealership, salvage yard, or online.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:37 AM
NOOdS

Originally Posted by tigerafro
where would i find the switch? the a/c goes in and out. some times hot sometimes cold.
try your local pick n pull.