Notices

Removing rear oil seal on a d16y8 - pls help

Old 01-05-2008, 02:32 PM
civicfan8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rear oil seal on a d16y8 - pls help

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing a clutch on a 96 EX - D16Y8- while I already had many many freeway miles on it (350k miles), the clutch never slipped and it still worked well, until after someone drove it when I left my car at a Long Term parking lot at Oakland Airport...I normally don't let anyone touch my car for that matter, but the lot was full and I was already in there and so had no choice but to leave my key with them.

When I came back from my trip and picked up my car, it cranked but wouldn't start, and after a last attempt when I stepped on the gas pedal all the way to open up the throttle, it started with a very heavy odor of gas...so possibly my car had been abused when someone parked my car...

I drove it home, and noticed the clutch felt weird, and after a few months, on a typical day, I suddenly felt that when the clutch was depressed, the clutch would still release on its own. ...

Long story short, over the holidays, I took it apart , removed the trans, and one of the torsion springs on the clutch disc just fell off with the stopper pins around the torsion spring broken off already. Sure enough someone had rev'ed up the engine and then released the clutch...

Anyway, I am now having some trouble removing the rear oil seal on the engine after the flywheel was removed. Haynes manual says you could use a screwdriver to pry it out, being careful not to scratch the crankshaft, I don't see how this could be easily done as the seal itself is quite stiff.

Can anyone pls share some ideas please? This seems simple enough, but it's easier said than done....is there a good way to do this without damaging the crankshaft surface?

The honda service manual does not mention how to remove it, rather , it just mentioned using a special tool to install a new one...odd..

Thanks a million.

Civicfan8
Old 01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

There was a DIY for the rear oil seal here somewhere. Maybe they touched up on the issue. Try http://repo.jackmoves.com/main.php I think thats where I might have seen it. Hope tht helps.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:10 AM
m735is

I use some Craftsman picks, they look sort of like dental cleaning instruments. Slowly work the pick into the seal and pull on the outer hard part, being careful not to scratch anything. The seals usually come apart, so just take your time and work it from both sides.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:36 PM
ari_one

On my D16Z6 I just took the whole case off because I was also replacing the oil pan gasket at the same time. The rear seal came off real easy that way.