Notices

EL/Civic ABS brakes activating prematurely

Old 12-01-2007, 02:06 PM
xpompey8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EL/Civic ABS brakes activating prematurely

Hello, I'm a newbie to this site, but have been driving an Acura for many years.

I searched the threads seeking an answer to my problem but couldn't find anything, thus this new thread.

I have an 98 EL and the main problem seems to be the ABS breaks activating prematurely. Even under dry conditions, the brakes will set off - making a very loud clicking noise as if they are broken. To me the ABS sensors seem very sensitive. I don't feel safe driving in the car especially under slippery conditions.

I took my car to the Acura dealer today and they didn't find anything wrong with the ABS. However they did resurface the front brake rotors and lubricated the calibers and made necessary adjustments.

They said that it could be either the front rotors and/or the tires. Just wondering if anyone experienced the same with their car and what they did to rectify it.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2007, 02:37 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Moved to Civic / Del Sol / EL...

If there is a fault with the ABS system (i.e., the sensors that read whether the wheels are turning or the ABS pump motor), the "Brake" idiot light should come on while the handbrake is released. If that light isn't on, the ABS system has passed it's startup diagnostic.

Now if you're getting vibration through the pedal when you apply the brakes, my first question would be: Does the vibration lessen as the brakes warm up or as you apply more pressure?

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 12-01-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:15 PM
xpompey8

Hello TheOtherDave™,

Thanks for putting the post in the right section.

To answer your question, the light goes off which means it passed the startup diagnostic.

And if I apply more pressure, the vibration doesn't lighten up. The car keeps going while the brakes are lightly applied. I haven't tried to apply more pressure because it feels that it's broken. Even when I let go and reapply same thing happens. Am I doing something wrong with how I brake? I've had ABS on my previous car and I know how it operates.

I'm tempted to get new tires and/or replace the front brake rotors.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:12 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by xpompey8
Hello TheOtherDave™,

Thanks for putting the post in the right section.

To answer your question, the light goes off which means it passed the startup diagnostic.

And if I apply more pressure, the vibration doesn't lighten up. The car keeps going while the brakes are lightly applied. I haven't tried to apply more pressure because it feels that it's broken. Even when I let go and reapply same thing happens. Am I doing something wrong with how I brake? I've had ABS on my previous car and I know how it operates.

I'm tempted to get new tires and/or replace the front brake rotors.
I would either resurface or replace the front rotors before I bought new front tires.

The wheels should be balanced on their own and if the vibration only occurs under braking, that should eliminate the wheel/tire assembly as a source.

My bet is that the rotors either have an uneven buildup of pad material. If the car has been in stop-n-go traffic most of it's life, the rotors may be down to their minimum thickness and prone to warping as a result.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!