Notices

Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Old 11-15-2007, 09:04 PM
coupedville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Searching for a good write up on the Civic coupe '96 rear wheel bearing replacement. Mine is roaring like a lion.
Mainly want to be prepared for the job (tools, how much liquor to have on hand)
Should I buy Timken or OEM Honda?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

I did this job last weekend. The only tool you might not have on-hand is a 32mm socket. You'll also need a 12mm, 17mm, flathead screw driver, fat phillips head for the rotor screws, a big ass hammer and an impact wrench. If you're in L.A. I'll help you.

My right rear bearing was pretty bad. It came apart after I slid it off of the hub. Majestichonda.com has the hub with new bearing and new studs for $99 before shipping. It's a pretty shinny part when it's new

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wheelbearing.jpg (314.0 KB, 99 views)
Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 AM
m735is

This job was easier than I expected. Once the drum and axle nut are off, mine slid right off. I bought mine at Autozone and the bearings were the same as the OEM ones I was removing. Alittle less expensive too.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:52 PM
coupedville

Thanks for the replies and esp. the offer to help. Just acquired my Civic and am new to the forum - and this is a very good one.

L.A. I wish! Here in the land of road salt (Indy), the first step is PB Blaster on all nuts and bolts. My rear brakes are drum and I am sure that will be the toughest part to remove. Yep, got the 32 MM for front axle shafts - looking forward to a smooth job this w/e.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by coupedville
Thanks for the replies and esp. the offer to help. Just acquired my Civic and am new to the forum - and this is a very good one.

L.A. I wish! Here in the land of road salt (Indy), the first step is PB Blaster on all nuts and bolts. My rear brakes are drum and I am sure that will be the toughest part to remove. Yep, got the 32 MM for front axle shafts - looking forward to a smooth job this w/e.
Welcome to HAN. Good luck on it. Let us know how it goes
Old 11-16-2007, 07:53 PM
qtiger

PB Blaster. Patience. Big fucking hammer.

I haven't done the rear drums though, good luck with that.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:01 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by Chefboiali
I did this job last weekend. The only tool you might not have on-hand is a 32mm socket. You'll also need a 12mm, 17mm, flathead screw driver, fat phillips head for the rotor screws, a big ass hammer and an impact wrench. If you're in L.A. I'll help you.

My right rear bearing was pretty bad. It came apart after I slid it off of the hub. Majestichonda.com has the hub with new bearing and new studs for $99 before shipping. It's a pretty shinny part when it's new

[IMGhttps://www.honda-acura.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73048&stc=1&d=11951956 31[/IMG]
I was going to say how nice and shiny it was

How much trouble did the rotor screws give you? When I did my pads and calipers, it was obvious that someone had tried to remove the screws on my '92, and failed
Old 11-17-2007, 03:23 PM
HECTIC_1

Hey, how do you know if they are bad?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by A-series
I was going to say how nice and shiny it was

How much trouble did the rotor screws give you? When I did my pads and calipers, it was obvious that someone had tried to remove the screws on my '92, and failed
Yeah.... one gave me trouble. I did however use the fattest phillips head I had in a 1/4" socket connected to a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter connected to my electric impact wrench.

You just have to use short bursts and lean into the impact wrench. There can be absolutely no play in the screw, or round and round she goes. I ordered 8 new ones from Majestic just incase I had beef with them.

Originally Posted by HECTIC_1
Hey, how do you know if they are bad?
Lets say that you're driving (safely) on a curvy highway. When you bank right, the weight of the car is shifted to the left side of the car, and vice versa. Well, if you hear a hum that only happens when weight is shifted to either side, and not on the other, it's the wheel bearing. My right rear was so bad, that I had to pry the bearing cover off of the spindle. (carefully). The bottom of the hub had exposed bearings :doood:

Last edited by Chefboiali; 11-17-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:48 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by Chefboiali
Yeah.... one gave me trouble. I did however use the fattest phillips head I had in a 1/4" socket connected to a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter connected to my electric impact wrench.
Cool, I know the originals always give some sort of trouble, especially those blessed with as much rust as my hubs. Doesn't sound that bad though, at least you didn't have to break out a drill, in which case I'd just take it to a shop for the rest of them.

In my toolset, there's phillips bit that was just made to fit in there, super snug. #3 if I remember, maybe the previous (unsuccessful) attempts were made with #2 :tsk:
Still, even with the right bit I actually think I might mess myself up if I really went for it h: I've heard of impacts as low as $15, especially if you already have good bits and avoid the crap they sometimes come with.