Notices

getting lower timing belt cover off?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:31 PM
MeanGreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting lower timing belt cover off?

my civic has been sitting in my garage for at least a week now, my timing belt broke a bit ago and ive been really busy with school.

engine is a Y7...

i got the lower crankshaft pulley loose and off, but the other day when i was working on it, i was attempting to remove the lower timing belt cover and got all the bolts off except one that is behind the dip stick tube... i was looking at the honda service manual, it says to remove that tube, but i couldnt figure out how to remove it. any suggestions? i loosened a bolt that i thought was keeping it there but it still seems like its not loose.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its just sealed with an o ring pull hard with pliers or try to pry it out with a flat head. When you re install it use a little Honda bond on the o ring.

What rpm did the belt brake if it happened at high rpm you may have bent valves.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:34 AM
MeanGreen

i was just driving down the road, i might have been up in 4000-5000 range.

cant i check the compression once i get the new belt on(with one of those pressure checker deals)? if the valves are bent, what can i expect that to cost me?? also, i thought that civic engines were that zero destruction business?

oh and thanks for that suggestion by the way.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Zabouskie

Originally Posted by MeanGreen
i was just driving down the road, i might have been up in 4000-5000 range.

cant i check the compression once i get the new belt on(with one of those pressure checker deals)? if the valves are bent, what can i expect that to cost me?? also, i thought that civic engines were that zero destruction business?

oh and thanks for that suggestion by the way.
I'm really sorry to tell you this but I can guarantee you there is valve damage, the valve and pistons are extremely close in these engines.

Also, theres really no such thing as an indestructable engine, Honda engines can be damaged just like any other engine, even a Mercedes of BMW engines can be ruined easily. I had a friend who broke a belt on a D16y7, same exact engine as me actually, the valves were all bent, so he ended up doing a Y8 head conversion on the engine block.

So if you can, pull the head off and inspect the damage, I would recommend either, replace the valves, replace the head, or say screw it and do a motor swap. Its all up to you, oh and if you do keep this engine, replace the water pump too, its right there and ez to be done, supposted to be done with every timing belt replacement.

Good luck with the whole thing.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:37 AM
MeanGreen

i changed the water pump. my new question is...

how do i make sure the tension adjuster is set right?

how much tension is needed?

and

without removing the head, how to check the valves? (pressure checker? how do you do this?)