Notices

I want to get a short ram air filter...

Old 09-21-2007, 11:27 PM
MeanGreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to get a short ram air filter...

i was wanting to get some mods goin on, nothing too involved..

i have a 96 civic ex, but at one point my vtech engine froze and was replaced with a d16y7 by some mechanics. so my concern is, im not sure if they kept the original throthle body and intake manifold and stuck it onto the y7 and i want to make sure i order a ram intake that will fit what i got.

is there a way that i would be able to know what ive got (ex or dx throthle body) and what i need to order to fit my application?

(<<< i just added a new 8.5 lbs flywheel and street clutch... my clutch was given me problems, i saw westcoaststyle walk thru, decided i could handle it, took a few days (didnt have ALL the right tools at once) and now it feels smooth and the engine starts so quickly!

i need an intake, maybe some headers after that and exhaust... not sure what is easy and effective... i need to change my timing belt soon as well>>>)
Old 09-22-2007, 11:22 AM
ddd4114

If you have a y7 intake manifold, the throttle body opening will be vertical. If you have your old VTEC (not vtech) intake manifold, the throttle body opening will be horizontal.

I/H/E will not give you very much of a power gain, especially with that engine. I would save your money for the timing belt replacement.

As far as modifications go, what are your goals for the car? Most people will advise you to turbo it or swap. I advise you to save your money until you have done more research and have a definite plan.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:37 PM
MeanGreen

i figured out from looking at pictures, i got the ex intake manifold on my y7 engine.

my goals for my civic are pretty simple. i want better fuel economy.

this civic is my daily driver/delivery vehicle... so the cold air intake i want to avoid (dont want to suck water into my engine)

my first mod that i had wondered about doin kinda was pushed forward because i was havin some problems/concerns about my clutch... it was starting to slip sometimes when i was in higher rpms. it turned out that the pilot bearing had become destroyed and its bearing balls(lol) were im guessing causing this, because they were floatin around inside the clutch when i disassembled it.

so now i got a flywheel that is 10lbs lighter (8.5lbs chromoly) that feels awsome and im getting 2-3 miles more per gallon.

im on a tight budget, so any upgrades i make will not be expensive ones. i do need to change my timing belt im pretty sure, because ive put lots of miles on this engine and have not changed it ever. my first civic i had in high school i had done a timing belt change, so i should be able to switch this fairly easily (i did my own clutch, timing belt changes envolve less work).

can anyone offer any knowledge about timing belt options???

also i was thinking about getting a cheep short shifter off ebay... (i really like my new clutch, a shorter throw would make it even better) has anybody gotten an ebay short shifter? (only like $16 with shipping!) is there any reason to avoid these ?

Last edited by MeanGreen; 09-27-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:48 PM
ddd4114

If you want fuel economy and daily driver reliability, I would use OEM parts from now on. I just can't really justify spending money on "upgrades" to save money at the pump. I would just concentrate on basic maintenance to ensure the car is running the best that it can.

Buy an OEM timing belt and water pump when you do the replacement. If you have done your own clutch, a timing belt will be cakewalk.

For the cheap short shifter... you get what you pay for...
Old 09-27-2007, 03:02 PM
MeanGreen

if i get better milage, like my recent 2-3mi/gallon increase, then the 35$ i spend on a short ram air filter will most likely have paid for itself in a few weeks of working.

also, i enjoy my civic a lot, i have always been into them. sure im not wanting to race at the track but im sure a majority of sport tuners never race anyway.

it would pretty stupid for me to one day in the future decide to put together a FAST car after having never experimented in the first place. sure id like to have an expensive exhaust, headers and all the rest, but its not practical for now. im just trying to get into the sport slowly, working on the milage goal just makes any spending i make actually worth the spending to beging with.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:07 PM
ddd4114

Honestly, I could see a short ram intake lowering your gas mileage. I would just get a K&N drop in filter and remove the resonator.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:19 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say to keep your OEM intake and buy a K&N drop-in replacement. If you buy an ebay filter on a stick it doesn't come with a CARb sticker or anything saying that it's legal for road use. I would look into an AEM one because of them being road legal, it would suck to have a cop give you a ticket or even tow your car because it has "illegal" mods to the engine.

I would have stuck poles up the mechanic's asses if they gave me a D16Y7 when my car came with a D16Y8. Fuck that, you should have gotten the same engine, thats bullshit.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:32 PM
94jdmcivic

short rams dont do much but suck in hot air from your engine. I have an aem cold air intake with bypass valve so you get cooler air and also dont have to worry about water getting into the engine(bypass valve)
Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
ddd4114

Originally Posted by 94jdmcivic
I have an aem cold air intake with bypass valve so you get cooler air and also dont have to worry about water getting into the engine(bypass valve)
Actually, you're better off with a short ram. The bypass filter cancels out the gains of a cold air intake.

If you're worried about ingesting water, consider an icebox or something similar.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:22 AM
94jdmcivic

With a short ram, its a little better than stock but not much, With a cold air you can feel the difference but also you can run the risk of getting water inside your engine. What i do is just keep a short ram inside my car and when it rains i remove the cold air and move it over and put the short ram on. Takes all but 2 mins and it works for me.