Notices

Civic 95 transmission problem (rattling noise)

Old 09-21-2007, 04:15 AM
ptursic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic 95 transmission problem (rattling noise)

I have a Civic DX 1995 with 177000mi. I’m having a problem with a lot of rattling noise that, I suspect, is coming from transmission. When I bought this car (with 155000mi) the noise was present and I took it to a mechanic that the car will be fixed. Mechanic was suspecting that the throw-out bearing is worn out. He changed the clutch, throw-out bearing and also resurfaced the fly-wheel. I saw the old throw-out bearing and it was worn out.
But when I test drove the car the car was still making the rattling noise.

The noise is NOT present when:
- the clutch is disengaged and a clutch pedal is pressed in.

The noise is present when:
- the clutch is engaged and car is accelerating or deaccelerating
- the clutch is engaged and the transmission is in neutral

- When I start the car with the clutch pedal pressed in and the transmission is in neutral or in one of the gears there is no noise.
- When the transmission is still in neutral and the clutch pedal is released then the noise (not much of rattling) becomes present.
- When I start driving in first gear, there is not much noise but when the car rich mid- and higher RPMs it rattles a lot. The rattling is then present in all gears, no matter how high or low the RPMs are. It’s rattling the most when the car is accelerating or when it’s deaccelerating.
- When I drive in 3rd gear and then press the clutch and put in neutral it still rattles and it sounds like that the rattling sound is slowing down. If then, while clutch is still pressed, I put in second gear then the speed of rattling increases. And then when I release the clutch the rattling gets much louder.

Rattling is always consistent with the RPMs and is not changing with the speed of the car.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be wrong?

Thank you very much for all the answers.
PT
Old 09-22-2007, 05:03 AM
m735is

Probably a bearing in the tranny. Mine did that for about 75,000 miles. I too replaced the clutch thinking that was the problem. I had another tranny available, so I just drove it waiting for it to die. It never did. I parted the car do to rust.
Annoying as hell sound ain't it?
Old 09-22-2007, 08:40 AM
ptursic

Yes, it is extremely annoying. I don't know what it would be best thing to do. At transmission repair shop they are saying that it would cost around $1400. The rebuild transmission from the internet would cost $800 and if I decide to change bearings by myself it would cost at least $270 for the bearing kit.
If I start fixing it on my own I could find out that it's something else (more) wrong with the transmission. Then I would need to get more parts (which would cost more) and at the same time I wouldn't have a car to go to work.
I'm thinking the most about ordering a rebuild one because then I could just changed it over the weekend. But probably I will wait that the clutch will get worn out and then I will also replace the clutch, fly-wheel and bearing, throw-out bearing and hopefully nothing more.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Call a salvage yard, get a used transmission for half of what the rebuilt one cost. Get one with a warranty.

You can replace a transmission in an afternoon if you have the right tools. All you have to do is pull the axles, shift and clutch linkage, and then there's like 8 bolts that hold it to the engine. The clutch stays bolted to the flywheel, and you can transplant your throwout bearing. The transmission holds 2 quarts. You'll need a air chisel with a punch attachment to knock the dowel pin out of the shifter rod on the shift linkage or you'll be cursing for hours. I posted about that years ago.

If you shop around in the For Sale section, you will probably find a tranny for even less. Maybe like $200-$250. Probably won't have a warranty, but you know...
Old 09-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

BTW: You don't even need to take the axle nuts loose, just un-bolt the whole suspension from the top of the engine bay after taking the A-Arm bolts out. Removing the brake lines and bleeding the brakes are easier than separating the lower ball joints and axle nuts. I wrote up an axle replacement DIY if you want to do it that way, but since you'll be re-using your axles, it's easier to just drop the whole suspension axles and all.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:07 PM
94jdmcivic

Similar situation with me. Throw out bearing went out and my friend decided to just replace the whole tranny with a used one. I was very fortunate he replaced it for 400$ tranny and labor. If i were you, i would just replace the tranny instead of rebuilding it.