Notices

Clutch Bleeding Problem

Old 09-16-2007, 12:36 PM
TLKendall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Bleeding Problem

If anyone can offer some advice, I would appreciate it. I just replaced the slave cylinder and the clutch master cylinder on my 05 civic. There are no leaks and I've been bleeding it for nearly an hour and still don't have any pedal. I have a friend push the clutch to the floor, open the bleeder valve - all clear fluid is coming out now, close the bleeder valve and then pump the clutch. When you push the clutch to the floor, it stays there and you have to pull it back up. It had pressure before replacing the master cylinder and slave cylinder. Any help/advice is appreciated!!
Old 09-16-2007, 01:49 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

well you still have air in the lines, try gravity bleeding it. Just open the bleeder valve and let it leak out until the fluid comes out solid.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:01 PM
RunningOnMT
4Banger

This is how I do it-

1. Open valve.
2. Clutch in.
3. Close valve.
4. Clutch out.
5. Repeat until pedal is firm.

Don't forget to keep the reservoir filled.
For some reason the air bubbles aren't dislodged or air is being reintroduced.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:16 PM
TLKendall

Default Fed up for the day

Well - I got the slave cylinder and master cylinder on around 1:00 today and have been bleeding since then with no luck. I removed the new slave cylinder and blew into it, with my mouth, and the cylinder did not budge. I was able to put pressurized air on it and the cylinder came out and then I was able to easily blow into it with my mouth and the cylinder would protrude. Of course I cleaned it up and put a rag over it before I put my mouth near it.

I put it all back together, again, and bled the heck out of it. Absolutely no air is coming out - just clear fluid now and I still don't have a pedal. The clutch pedal just goes to the floor and stays there.

I know this is a very simple hydraulic system, but it has me stumped. Am I doing something wrong when I'm putting the slave cylinder on? Am I pushing the cylinder too far up inside when I put the tip on the fork? There are no leaks, new master cylinder.... When bleeding, it seems to have good pressure coming out of the bleed valve... The slave cylinder NEVER moves during the pumping, bleeding, etc....

Going to bed and will work on it tomorrow after work - ANY advice, experience, etc would be wonderful!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:47 AM
mini-me civic

check for leaks arond th fittings.. if not might be a defective clutch slave cylinder..
Old 09-17-2007, 07:45 PM
TLKendall

Default Figured it out!!

Ok - after talking with a few people, my civic is back on the street! A couple guys told me that after replacing the clutch master cylinder that you either have to bench bleed the new master cylinder or use a vacuum bleeder after it is installed. Since it was already installed and I didn't want to remove it, I spent the $40 for a vacuum bleeder and after just a few pumps on that thing, my pedal came back! Apparently air gets lodged in the master cylinder and won't come out with typical bleeding - at least it didn't in my case. That pump was a life saver! Thanks everyone for the replies! Hopefully this can help someone else out too.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Civic2Scooby

lol, I was just gonna tell you to go to autozone and buy a hand vac. for like 12 bucks. I have a power bleeder that I use for clutches/brakes.