Notices

New Oil Pan

Old 08-25-2007, 12:39 PM
bonsaitree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Oil Pan

Last time i was changing my oil I noticed that the threads in the hole for the drain plug were beginning to get stripped or rather sheared off. When I pulled the drain plug out part of the threads were still stuck on the bolt. So I removed all the loose metal and tried to clean up the threads in the pan as much as possible. Finished changing the oil and put the plug back in the pan. It looked like it sealed up fine though I tried not to tighten the plug to much in fear of ripping the rest of the threads out and leaving myself without a vehicle for a while. I noticed shortly there after that I'm leaking a little oil from the plug now. Its not really a big deal, I had decided last time I changed my oil that I would just replace the oil pan next oil change. I decided to replace it because I don't really want to drill and re-tap for a bigger plug and its just less hassle in my mind to replace it. So I began searching for a suitable replacement. I guess it would be beneficial at this point to state that I have a '98 EX, so I'm pretty sure that means I've got a d15? Or maybe a d16? Either way its the SOHC 1.6 vtec engine. In searching for a suitable replacement I've found all kinds of stamped steel pieces, but the oil pan on my car appears to be a cast aluminum piece. I've looked at aftermarket companies that I'm familiar with like Moroso and such but can never seem to find a pan that they say will fit my car exactly. So naturally I'm stuck with a few questions.... Will any oil pan that fits a D-series 1.6 motor fit my vehicle? If I picked up a larger aftermarket pan, such as one made by moroso, would I need a new oil pickup to reach farther into the pan? Is there any import/tuner sites that I should be looking for this part? I'm more of a domestic truck guy and the civic is really just a DD/work vehicle for me, so I'm not very familiar with the import websites. Is there going to be any advantage to running a higher volume oil pan in my case, since I don't have anything performance and just need the car to keep running like it is? It will eventually get the wrench treatment, but my truck is more of my focus right now.

And before you tell me too...I've been searching and reading stuff for the last 7k miles (about 3 months) I've got my thoughts on all of these questions but I can't seem to find definative answers.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be exact you will need the engine code. Its on the front of the motor next to the transmission. Find and oil pan that will fit that exact engine code. E.X. d16y5,d16y7,d16y8. I think if you have the 1.6 vtec you have the d16y8 some one will probably correct me if I'm wrong.

I do not know it you can use a stamped steel pan the bolt holes may be different.

Last edited by Fuse; 08-25-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:11 AM
bonsaitree

Ok so I checked the engine. Who knew Honda would be smart enough to stamp the type of engine right on the block along with the engine serial number. Its a d16y8. So I go off to find a replacement for that engine and they're all stamped steel!? WTF? I popped over to Honda tech to search their archives for some info and I come to find out that I can get a moroso pan that fits the d16z6 for cheaper than I can get a replacement aluminum pan for the y8, but the pan for the z6 wont fit the y8. Now the pans look identical in bolt hole size and placement, but everything I've read says it wont fit......this is why I stick to trucks. a small block part is a small block part.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 AM
civicfan8

Default I have the exact same problem

Hi all,

I have a 96 civic ex with the d16y8 engine, after many many oil changes (the car now has 335k miles ) which I did myself in my own garage, I started to see the threads on the oil drain plug getting stripped all on its own. I had been careful in hand tightening it and torque it to 29 ft/lb every single time...but ..this time I felt a bit of resistance as I un-screw the drain plug...and a piece of metal in the shape of a spiral came out with it. I never overtightened or crossed the threads....so why this happens...I have no idea other than the fact that perhaps the service life of the oil pan is near the end as far as the aluminimum threads are concerned...

I also looked at replacing the oil pan with a Dorman ...or just stop the leak , which is minimal now at a few drops every night, which is a bothersome thing...

At the next oil change, I'll try using those yellow teflon tapes that are compatible with oil and gas on the threads of the drain plug and see if that helps stop the minor leak.... It does not make too much sense for me to dump money in with a new oil pan...in a car with 335k miles...

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks.

Civicfan8
Old 09-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Civic2Scooby

go to your local parts store and grab a + size oil pan bolt. They are self tapping and will make new threads where your old one went. I had to do this on my 87 accord as the bolt no longer would hold tight. I would get it all the way down and it would just continue to spin. I went to my parts store the guy looked up the appropriate oversize plug for me and it hasn't dripped a drop since.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:39 AM
bonsaitree

funny you should metion that. A buddy of mine suggested I do that, because I went to change the oil today and found the plug totally stripped. Tried the oversized plug and all it did was make things worse....the hole is bigger, the new plug wont stay in and the old plug just pushes right into the hole. I kinda thing the guy gave me the wrong oversized plug but its too late now. I've already got a new pan on the way so I'll let the car sit for a week and I'll get it good and buttoned up next week.