Notices

Something under dizzy cap went bad? :O

Old 06-10-2007, 06:15 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamagnetic Machine Screw(s)

I decided my wrap-up post was a bit too long and that this should be in a separate post for easier reading.
copy, paste, and presto:

FYI, in case it might help someone, I replaced the two machine screws that hold the connections on the coil with ones I got at a hardware store. I'm pretty sure the original ones (along with most of the bolts/screws that came on my car) were yellow zinc.
I couldn't find any like that but I got regular zinc replacements and zinc locker washers and flat washers on them to make them fit correctly like the originals.

I also got a regular zinc machine screw to replace the one that holds the rotor in place but ended up not using it and sticking with the old one that was already in there (according to my manual the rotor crew must be diamagnetic).
For one, it didn't look too bad compared with the ones on coil, one of which was crumbling apart, and by coincidence I happened to touch the new screw to part of the dizzy and noticed the magnetism held it in place.
I then tested this with the original yellow zinc screw and it was also held there but not as strongly.

From what I understand, zinc should be diamagnetic (not magnetic) which is a requirement for at least the rotor screw.
I don't know why the original fasteners are all yellow zinc (I think it's for extra corrosion protection) since zinc on it's own is supposed to resist corrosion or why there would seem to be a difference in the magnetism of the two rotor screws - also don't know why something diamagnetic would be magnetically drawn to something but maybe it's magnetic attraction is just weaker :hsdunno:

I was worried that the replacement either only had a zinc coating or that yellow zinc might be better/safer or just plain required for that application so I stuck with the original.

Thanks again guys for the very knowledgeable suggestions. :wavey:

I couldn't of done it without HAN :bigok:
:cheers:

Last edited by A-series; 06-10-2007 at 06:25 PM.