Notices

Engine revs problem

Old 05-24-2007, 04:52 PM
jay169

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine revs problem

Recently my engine revs at the bottom of all gears except 1st (manual) without any significant increase in power to the wheels (speed), but the revs eventually normalize (drop and increase slowly with power/speed going up) if i keep pressure on the gas, or if i release pressure on the gas and increase slowly. I have no idea what it is, but it gets more frequent as time goes by. Any clues?
btw its a 98 civic HX manual trans.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:26 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by jay169
Recently my engine revs at the bottom of all gears except 1st (manual) without any significant increase in power to the wheels (speed), but the revs eventually normalize (drop and increase slowly with power/speed going up) if i keep pressure on the gas, or if i release pressure on the gas and increase slowly. I have no idea what it is, but it gets more frequent as time goes by. Any clues?
If the revs are increasing/decreasing and it's not in direct correlation with what the speed of the car is doing than either there's a problem with the drivetrain (like clutch slipping) or a problem with the tach not reading correctly.

I'm not sure I completely understand your problem, could you elaborate?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:22 AM
mberndt

Originally Posted by jay169
Its your clutch...
It's slipping...
You need to have it replaced/replace it yourself.

Do you smell clutch burning? Kinda hard to explain the smell... Sorta like melting brakes...

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2007, 08:40 AM
jay169

Default thanks

yeah guys, the problem continues and i cant say ive smelled the clutch burning, or maybe im just not observant. the tach is definintely reading correctly since i can hear the engine rev when the tach spikes. it seems the "solution" to the problem is accelerating slowly. if i were to either shift up or down and immediately accelerate as you normally would i get the revs without the power. if im just driving along in whatever gear and try to accelerate quickly, same problem, but if i accelerate slowly, then speed gradually builds without the revs spiking. i dont know if this description is any better, or more helpful to make a correct diagnosis of the problem (i hope it is). if its the clutch though i definitely would not be able to do that myself, and dont want to even think of the likely pricetag on that job. let me know if there are any other things that come to mind. thanks again!
Old 06-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Civic2Scooby

where are you located? you mite be able to get some help from a local HANer...clutches are cake.