Notices

DIY: How to Paint your wheels

Old 05-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: How to Paint your wheels

Well, one of my customers wanted a new set of wheels powder coated due to the fact that they didn't come in the color that he wanted them. We decided that we wanted to keep the polished lip so we were unable to powder coat them being that the first step is to media blast them down to bare metal. This would have chanced hurting the lip and voiding any warrenty on the lip's coating that the maker would have put on there, so we decided to paint them. This is a base/clear setup with rock chip hardener in a urathane clear coat.

on with the pix.

The wheels show up in these amazing pink boxes! (the cat likes them too!)

The wheels were slightly protected with some bubble wrap & a fabric cover.

The wheels in their stock form.

Measuring for some hub centric rings.

Precise taping so that the lip will not be exposed or scratched durring any of the painting process.

All four wheels after they have been skuffed and ready for some nice preping materials. This stage is super important so that your paint products will adhear to the surface well.

This is an amazing product. This is Epoxy primer, it comes out as sticky and nasty as glue but finishes like a nice smooth primer should. This will make sure that the color transition will go smoothly and stick like no other!

Coated with epoxy primer using an HVLP Gravity feed gun.

Same but different lighting.

Gold Hawtness.

Another View, kinda showing off the flake.

After Cleared in different lighting.

After the tape is pealed, the lip will still need shined up but thats the process!

Installed:

If you don't like the color, the hell with you! It was the customers choice and i think it look amazing!

Enjoy, feel free to ask some questions

Last edited by Running925; 11-12-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:56 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Do you need a specific kind of tape? I don't know if that seems like a silly question, but I figured there must be some kind of specific tape as I think that other tape might still let the epoxy/paint seep through or something.

Also, how much of the epoxy did you use on the wheels? Did you use both cans, or would 1 qt. suffice?

Oh, nice job on the wheels BTW. :goodjob:
Old 05-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by randomtask77
Do you need a specific kind of tape? I don't know if that seems like a silly question, but I figured there must be some kind of specific tape as I think that other tape might still let the epoxy/paint seep through or something.

Also, how much of the epoxy did you use on the wheels? Did you use both cans, or would 1 qt. suffice?

Oh, nice job on the wheels BTW. :goodjob:
I layed a tack coat, and 2 wet coats of the epoxy primer. Possibly used about 1/4th of that quart.

The tape is normal "Scotch" brand painters tape that can be found at your local automotive paint supply shop. It's about 7 or 8 bux a roll but well worth it. It's the only tape i would ever use when doing detailed painting. The tape is also transparent when using their blue bendable graphics tape for cutting out graphics.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:04 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Originally Posted by Running925
I layed a tack coat, and 2 wet coats of the epoxy primer. Possibly used about 1/4th of that quart.

The tape is normal "Scotch" brand painters tape that can be found at your local automotive paint supply shop. It's about 7 or 8 bux a roll but well worth it. It's the only tape i would ever use when doing detailed painting. The tape is also transparent when using their blue bendable graphics tape for cutting out graphics.
I don't have access to an HVLP gravity gun, would transferring the epoxy to a spray can/bottle work or is it too sticky to be used on aerosol?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

I don't have access to an HVLP gravity gun, would transferring the epoxy to a spray can/bottle work or is it too sticky to be used on aerosol?
It would never come out of a spray can correctly. I use about 50psi of regulated pressure while spraying that stuff.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

It would never come out of a spray can correctly. I use about 50psi of regulated pressure while spraying that stuff.
Could you recommend anything else as a primer? Something that is in a spray can (or could be put in a spray can)?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Could you recommend anything else as a primer? Something that is in a spray can (or could be put in a spray can)?
you can use what ever you like.. but if you want this stuff to adhear to the surface and you don't want your paint flakeing off then i'd find a way to use this stuff or similar epoxy primer that comes out of a spray gun.

It comes down to the quality. Rocks WILL hit your wheels, Rocks WILL chip your wheels, but the difference here is, you might get a little nick.. but it's unlikley that it will take a chunk of paint off if you use this meathod.

Cheap primers will allow things to flake and peal. This stuff came out like glue, sticking to it's surface, not just sticking to it self. Therefor it's less likley to peal. It's kinda hard to explain.

Take your normal spray can primer & spray it onto a plastic grosery bag. wait til it's dry then wrinkle it up and blow at it.. i garentee it will fly off in a million peices.. When you do the same test with this stuff.. it won't blow off like the other stuff.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

you can use what ever you like.. but if you want this stuff to adhear to the surface and you don't want your paint flakeing off then i'd find a way to use this stuff or similar epoxy primer that comes out of a spray gun.

It comes down to the quality. Rocks WILL hit your wheels, Rocks WILL chip your wheels, but the difference here is, you might get a little nick.. but it's unlikley that it will take a chunk of paint off if you use this meathod.

Cheap primers will allow things to flake and peal. This stuff came out like glue, sticking to it's surface, not just sticking to it self. Therefor it's less likley to peal. It's kinda hard to explain.

Take your normal spray can primer & spray it onto a plastic grosery bag. wait til it's dry then wrinkle it up and blow at it.. i garentee it will fly off in a million peices.. When you do the same test with this stuff.. it won't blow off like the other stuff.
I understand what you're saying. I guess I'll just have to find a way to get a hold of a gravity gun. h:
Old 05-23-2007, 10:21 AM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

I understand what you're saying. I guess I'll just have to find a way to get a hold of a gravity gun. h:
make a friend at a bodyshop
Old 05-23-2007, 01:05 PM
ElCoqui19

Great job.Very useful info,you da man! :goodjob: