Notices

power window problem

Old 05-08-2007, 02:12 PM
carrotcake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power window problem

Hey everyone,

I'm having a little problem with my rear driver side power window. I have an 1998 Acura 1.6EL (same as CIVIC EX basically). The power window doesn't work, I replaced the switch and the problem persists. I'm thinking the motor is burned out. Do you think that's likely?

If it is, I need to bring down the window in order to remove the bolts associated with the motor, but how do I bring down the window if the motor is burned out?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-carrotcake
Old 05-08-2007, 04:10 PM
m735is

Have you tried applying power directly to the plug closest to the motor to make sure it's dead?
Have you checked the wiring going to the motor with a volt meter?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:40 PM
carrotcake

I haven't done either of those,

what would I use to power it? And won't I need the switch to operate it?

I should check the wire with a voltmeter though.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:05 AM
m735is

When I need to remove a window or the motor from a door that's off the car, I just use a car battery with wires on it. One hookup makes the window go up, swap the wires and it goes down.

Definetly check the wiring going to it first.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:22 AM
carrotcake

alright well i hooked an amp-meter and there is a current going through the motor, I have no idea what to do next

thanks in advance
Old 05-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

There has to be a wire that just isn't connected properly. What I might do is take the door panel off of the other door, and makes sure both sides match up wire-to-wire. Examine the on that works to fix the one that doesn't. Sometimes it takes that to figure it out.

I did a power window swap on my Si. It took me an hour to realize the switch to not allow the passenger side window to roll down was pressed and was the only reason my window wasn't working
Old 05-14-2007, 05:13 AM
carrotcake

from what i can see, everything is hooked up alright, and i never touched the wires behind the big metal sheat that blocks the motor. The part that made me think that the motor was broken was that it was working when i pressed the up and down switch and without doing anything else, it stopped and never started again. The reason i opened it up in the first place was that i can open the window from the driver seat but not from the rear seat. I opened it and fixed the problem (the switch had corroded so there was no current). eventually it worked, but like i said, it just stopped working as it was in my hand and i couldnt start it anymore. now it doesnt work from the driver side or the rear.