Notices

Civic won't start, battery...

Old 04-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Momobile
Mom's shade tree mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic won't start, battery...

The Mom's mobile would not start because the battery got very weak. She only drives it to Church a few blocks away once or twice a month. Anyway, the battery was dead but the car would still turn over a bit. I tried to start it until it would not turn over at all any more and gave up. A few days later I returned with the charger.

Now the battery is fully charged and the dome light comes on inside the car and I hear the noise that the key is in the ignition but when I turn the key on the red lights on the dash do not come on nor does the starter turn over. I don't even hear the solenoid click. The headlights come on bright and the battery test on the charger tool shows that it is fully charged but nothing when I try to start it.

Do I need to just remove the battery connection and reset the computer or something? Perhaps a dirty connection at the battery? Does any one know of anything dealing with this like a fuse, relay, or module that needs to be reset when the battery is fully dead or replaced?

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:41 PM
fdavie

Maybe the main relay? Look here.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:51 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by fdavie
Maybe the main relay? Look here.
First of all that's a great site and not just the main relay page.
I was going to recommend it myself, primarily for the great pic of the relay location(s), after I replaced the main relay in my car so I'd have some insight to add but haven't gotten around to that yet.

Regarding the OP's problem, if the main relay was acting up the engine would still turn over. It wouldn't affect the starter.

I'm thinking the problem could be the ignition or a fuse(maybe one of the big ones under hood, just a guess). The ignition is a relatively common problem on some gens/years as they get older.

I wish I had time to look into it for you but I gotta go.

It might help to give the year (I assume it's a civic), etc. so the more knowledgeable and well-rested members can help
Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 AM
Momobile

Originally Posted by Ra005e
It might help to give the year (I assume it's a civic), etc.
It's in my signature :hsugh:
Old 04-25-2007, 07:32 AM
Momobile

Well the battery terminals were dirty so I cleaned them up and now the dash warning lights come on and the starter solenoid will click but the car still didn't turn over. The battery must not be any good, it is pretty old by looking at it. I'll take it out and check the water in it and bring it to Napa for them to check it. Thanks for the replies but I am sure the car just needs a new battery.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

same thing happened to me like 4 days ago. My battery still had power but had a low charge. A new battery should fix the problem.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:31 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by Momobile
It's in my signature :hsugh:
:isadouche:

OK, now that I've made that clear (as if it wasn't already) I can't believe I was that out of it but in my defense I had been up all night removing malware and viruses from my sister's comp. and I guess the combination of caffeine, elation, and sleep deprivation got the best of me.

P.S. sorry for cluttering up the forum just to explain my doucheism (tm)
Old 04-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Wharbone

Still get your battery tested (free at auto zone).
Old 04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
mini-me civic

check the power wire that goes to the starter solenoid.. wiggle it or play wit the wire.. that wire usually comes loose over time
Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 PM
menappi

Yea whoever thought the main relay was the problem is way off, it has nothing to do with this. Seems as though you either have loose,corrosive battery connections or the battery is effed. Have you tried to jump start the car? That way it should at least start and you'll know the battery is dead if you drive around a while and then it won't start again. Also check your grounds.