Notices

I want more...

Old 04-21-2007, 09:06 AM
lufkintravis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want more...

I wanna project to work on so I thought, instead of buying a new car, I'd see what I could do with mine. I have a 97 Civic EX manual and I'd like to get more out of it. I'm not taking it to the drag strip or anything, I just want more fun out of it. Where would I start to start working on, let's say 200 hp from my car? I know swaps are an option, but are there better options available? I would love some suggestions, especially from people who have done swaps vs. build-ups. Also, i'm not leaning toward nitrous, turbos, or supers just because i don't want something to work on all the time, i just want more fun from my car, and I'd like to keep @ least some of the reliability... Any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:15 AM
fathergoat
:3

put a turbo on it. 200 is plenty for a civic and that motor should handle it if tuned properly. start looking for the different setups people are using on that motor (d16y8?) and come up with a list what you think you want as far as turbo size, tuning, ect. you have a reasonable goal and I see no reason you can't achieve it
Old 04-21-2007, 09:20 AM
lufkintravis

Yes it's a Y8. Will turbos give me headaches with emissions? I'm guessing we'll all have more problems soon with all this shit that has been started with the EPA lately. My main goal is more fun while trying to salvage reliability and legality - It's still my daily driver.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:23 AM
FLAT_LINER
Ridin Dirty

Originally Posted by lufkintravis
Yes it's a Y8. Will turbos give me headaches with emissions? I'm guessing we'll all have more problems soon with all this shit that has been started with the EPA lately. My main goal is more fun while trying to salvage reliability and legality - It's still my daily driver.
you shouldn't have any emission problems....but if you wanted to stay on the safe side get the greddy kit its carb stamped so it shouldn't give you any problems
Old 04-21-2007, 10:02 AM
lufkintravis

I looked here, there's a few listed, which would be better and why?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:08 AM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

you have emissions testing in lufkin?
Old 04-25-2007, 07:27 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

turbo by far is going to be your most cost-effective and easiest way to get up in numbers like that

as stated the Greddy kit is emissions legal so if thats your concern go there..

otherwise plenty of companies make "complete" kits such as turbonetics, drag, even edelbrock is making a kit now that produces some decent numbers.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:53 PM
qtiger

For those kind of power goals, the Greddy kit would definitely do the job.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:32 PM
lufkintravis

Originally Posted by 19.3secFerio
you have emissions testing in lufkin?

Not so far, but there has been some stuff on the news about the EPA being lax about their emissions testing requirements and stuff, so I wouldn't doubt if it became mandatory in all cities sometime in the near future...
Old 04-26-2007, 01:07 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Originally Posted by lufkintravis
Not so far, but there has been some stuff on the news about the EPA being lax about their emissions testing requirements and stuff, so I wouldn't doubt if it became mandatory in all cities sometime in the near future...
I know houston and dallas, maybe austin might have those issues.

here in san antonio, its no big deal yet. something tells me if they make that mandatory, half the cars on the road down here won't pass anyways (you know what I'm talking about).

I wouldn't worry too much about it. you guys are kinda in the middle of nowhere.