Notices

whats the diff between these b-series heads....

Old 01-08-2007, 10:18 AM
mberndt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
:werd:

thanks snoops...I already knew he was wrong, but didnt feel like dealing with him anymore. You think all we know is from HT and reading on here. HA..I have done more swaps and builds than you have ever jacked off to on 2NER TV.

I know you know your shit, but you are argueing with people who have a damn good knowledge base. I am not trying to step on your dick man, just some of the facts you posted were wrong...straight up.
Next...

Look, the point I'm trying to make is that alot of these members don't know anything but what they read on these forums...

I am not one of them. I have plenty of experience, just ask me...

Now, concerning this post, I was not and am not wrong. I simply explained the situation and the fact that, regardless of what you guys think, putting a GSR head onto a B16 block, will raise the compression, period.

If the compression is raised, there is a Direct increase in torque... I shouldn't have to explain this to you... It is simple thermodynamics...

So, just how do you think I'm wrong?

I've done plenty of swaps and builds, and even more maintenance work (just did a clutch job on bros 98 accord yesterday, helped with engine swap on a 91 CRX on fri night, and that's just THIS weekend...), so don't automatically think you know any more than I do...
I've had my swap since 2000, and have been doing my work for just as long...
Old 01-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by mberndt
Really? You just proved how much of an idiot I already knew you were...

How do you figure that I have a USDM B16 block? Did I ever say I did? No, so you are wrong, period. I have a JDM B16 with P30 pistons, go do the calculation over again... Can you do simple math?

is all I have to say to you!
in your original post you say...

Originally Posted by mberndt
How do u figure only 0.2-0.3? I calculated it 3 years ago, and it was 10.6~10.7, up from 10.2... And guess what, I just calculated it again... U know what it said?
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/c...c/compcalc.php
So, you're wrong...
10.2:1 is the cr for a b16 with pr3's. the ONLY way you would get a jump to 10.6:1 is with p30's AND and p72 head. a b16 block with p30's and b16 head is 10.4:1. by simply switching to a p72 head you would then get 10.6:1.

dont call me an idiot when you yourself cant get your facts straight. :gtfo:
Old 01-08-2007, 12:25 PM
FLAT_LINER
Ridin Dirty

B16 (pr3 Stamp Code) Cylinder Head:
-The B16 head and Type-R head are of identical casts.
Both of these cylinder heads are stamped with the code PR-3.

-An ITR head is a ported B16A head from the factory. Both are coded as PR3 heads. So they are the same head but the ITR one (PR3-2) has had better intake valves, stiffer springs, bigger cams, bigger LMD's, bigger ports, steeper valve angles, some bowl blending work done from the factory.(IN B20 terms, FLOWS BETTER, HOLDS HIGH REVS BETTER!)

-The B16 head flows SLIGHTLY better then the GSR head.

-B16 uses a single stage IM with different flange mounting holes than the GSR. You are able to find more IM to the fit on the b16 for this reason.

-B16 heads are easily obtainable and can be had for pretty cheap versus the ITR.

-The intake port approach into the combustion chamber is less vertical and directs the mixture motion into the chamber differently than the GSR.

GSR (P72)Cylinder head:

-The GSR head's ports are said to be "straight shot" or more vertical or steeper).

-lower head volume in the GSR head works well with dished pistons in FI applications whereas the ITR head's larger head volume works well in N/A high hp motors using domed pistons that fill in the volume.

-The head volume for the GSR head is at 41.6 cc.
-From ENDYN:The GSR head has a larger ID to the intake seat than the B16 head which is intended to feed a 1.8 liter engine...We don't see the differences that some seem to believe exist, with the B16 head being more swirl oriented and the GSR leaning more toward tumble. On the all-out killer heads, our best head based on a B16 casing will outflow an equivalently prepared GSR by perhaps 5 cfm at .500 lift and that's not enough to cause one to out perform the other in the real world. The inside diameter of the seat (of an 00-01 ITR head) is also larger than that of a stock B16 head, allowing higher flow rates necessary to feed a 1.8 liter combination.
-The GSR is also has a DUAL STAGE intake manifold.
-the intake port is a larger with a steeper throat cut valve angle. It has less aerodynamic drag from having less internal surface area than the GSR head and GSR 2 stage IM.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:34 AM
mberndt

Originally Posted by Snoopy
in your original post you say...

10.2:1 is the cr for a b16 with pr3's. the ONLY way you would get a jump to 10.6:1 is with p30's AND and p72 head. a b16 block with p30's and b16 head is 10.4:1. by simply switching to a p72 head you would then get 10.6:1.

dont call me an idiot when you yourself cant get your facts straight. :gtfo:
Actually, that is not what I originally posted... This is what I posted

"With the GSR head on the B16 block with stock P30 pistons"

Do you notice where I say P30 pistons?? Do you? If you are such a "know it all" like you think you are (IMO just a forum reader LOL), then you should have known that P30 pistons only come in the JDM B16 motors.

Regardless of what mistakes I made typing, my C/R was 10.65792991667382 like I told you the FIRST time...

So, in my second post, where I was proving you and the others wrong, you are right, I did post that it was 10.2. My mistake. The last time I was worried about the C/R was 4 years ago when I put the head on.
But regardless, it doesn't change what the argument is about. Increasing C/R increases Torque, period. Go look in an engine building manual, or even better take a class on Thermodynamics...

It may not be much power in terms of maximum gains, but if you knew anything about motors, you know that the torque curve is MUCH more important than peak power... And in this case, the GSR cams along with the added compression ratio, plus the ECU and IAB system combined to make a noticeable difference.

So, I'm done arguing this thread. Say what you will, but the facts are in the textbooks. Engine twisting force is directly proportional to the Compression ratio, period.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

the fact remains that swapping to a gsr head will only give you a .2 bump in compression