Notices

best civic upgrades

Old 12-29-2006, 08:20 PM
92exaccord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best civic upgrades

i was just wondering what the best upgrades would be for my 00si, i already have an aem intake, flowmaster exhaust, but the torque is still sucky so i was wondering if anyone had a good experience with certain parts or a good direction to start to bring that torque up
Old 12-29-2006, 09:41 PM
JxHxB

Booooooooost!
Old 12-30-2006, 09:02 AM
92exaccord

well i already knew that one, i am looking at a b18 gsr head, manifold, and header, would that be a good upgrade or not worth around the 100 dollars
Old 12-30-2006, 09:24 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92exaccord
well i already knew that one, i am looking at a b18 gsr head, manifold, and header, would that be a good upgrade or not worth around the 100 dollars
if it's in good working order it's worth 800+... so yeah if it's a P72 head buy it at least for the investment.

the best upgrade would be to use a turbo or get a tall deck motor (b18/b20) series and start from there
Old 12-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Civic2Scooby

sell your Si if you want torque without boosting. Forget the b18c head, your b16a head is the same casting as the ITR heads. Get a b18c bottom end and slap your b16a heads on it for a poor mans ITR setup.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

you're not getting torque out of that b16 without boost
Old 12-30-2006, 11:43 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
sell your Si if you want torque without boosting. Forget the b18c head, your b16a head is the same casting as the ITR heads. Get a b18c bottom end and slap your b16a heads on it for a poor mans ITR setup.

the b18c1 head will increase his performance because it is a p72 casting, his compression will be raised due to the lower deck height, and will probably see an increase of .2 to .3 in compression ratio

the head also flows better in the upper reaches of the rev range, espcially when it is ported
Old 12-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by sherwood
the b18c1 head will increase his performance because it is a p72 casting, his compression will be raised due to the lower deck height, and will probably see an increase of .2 to .3 in compression ratio

the head also flows better in the upper reaches of the rev range, espcially when it is ported
you can argue head flow with me all you want, the both flow about the same. Its been proven over and over again, they just flow different ways, not better or worse ways.....although a pr3 casting which is used on the b16a, b16b, and b18cR when properly done is a much better flowing head with a good set of cams etc. Who gives a shit about the extra .3 in compression the GSR head is gonna give you, it still wont do shit for a tiny 1.6L trq output. Its a waste of time and effort to swap it over to a b18c head...be better off porting the one he has, AFTER he puts enough into the motor to make it even worth porting it. Porting a honda head is when you need to squeeze another handful of horsepower out of a heavy build. A ported head on an otherwise stock motor is worth dog shit.

also the compression is upped more to the fact of the size of the combustion chamber inside the p72 casting than the deck height.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:07 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
also the compression is upped more to the fact of the size of the combustion chamber inside the p72 casting than the deck height.
thats what i meant h:

and it has been proven that the p72 flows better as well as having a higher output of horsepower and torque with same modifications as a pr3... if he has the ability to buy a p72 head for $100 with an intake manifold as well as the ability to switch the cams over from his b16 he should see a good power gain for a minimal effect on his wallet.

match this will a good homemade or pre-built kit with some extra goodies and he's looking at a pretty nice setup which will net more gains than any normal swap at about the same price.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by sherwood
thats what i meant h:

and it has been proven that the p72 flows better as well as having a higher output of horsepower and torque with same modifications as a pr3... if he has the ability to buy a p72 head for $100 with an intake manifold as well as the ability to switch the cams over from his b16 he should see a good power gain for a minimal effect on his wallet.

match this will a good homemade or pre-built kit with some extra goodies and he's looking at a pretty nice setup which will net more gains than any normal swap at about the same price.
GSR intake manifold is shite.

GSR block + boost >>>> GSR head + boost.

Also if he doesnt boost and does switch to the GSR head, he is gonna have to switch to the p72 ECU or get a VTEC controller as the cams have different crossover points than his b16a cams.

Also if he is getting a GSR head for 100 bucks, than it is
A: bare head..no cams/springs/retainers/valves/etc, so there is big money on a rebuild cause why go stock when you have to start scratch anyhow.
B: the head is damaged and will need repair.

lets just say he is magically getting this head fully done up for 100 bucks, well than kudos..but it still isnt worth slapping onto that b16a block if he isnt gonna boost it. If he IS gonna boost it than while he has the head off he mite as well put in forged internals on that nice open block.......I think you see where I am going with this......

also I would love to see where you are getting this indesputible evidence towards the p72 heads. Links?

I have read dozens of different flow tests etc that support both head castings equally.