Notices

What is more responsible for stiffness, shocks or springs?

Old 10-03-2002, 11:14 AM
Ochdx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is more responsible for stiffness, shocks or springs?

I have a set of koni shocks, set to maximum stiffnes (not externally adjustable, have to be removed to be adjusted) and Neuspeed sports spring. The ride is extremely rough, and I'm wondering if I remove and readjust the shocks to the softest setting, would that help or is it the springs that are causing stiffness (they are 1.8" lower than stock ones).

Also, back when my syspension was stock, the ride was still pretty rough, at least as compared to my friends Accord. To my knowledge, accord and civic share a lot of syspension parts and the ride should be fairly similar. A friend told me that it might be because my shocks and springs are old (the car is 95, i replaced shocks and springs in late 2001. So, I'm wondering if it worth setting my shocks to soft setting and getting a set of stock springs.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:44 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aftermarketing lowering springs are MUCH harder than stock springs....that's the drawback if you want a comfy ride.

Putting to a softer setting WOULD help.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 10-03-2002, 01:37 PM
Ochdx

how come my stock ones were so much stiffer than accord?
Old 10-03-2002, 01:47 PM
ManInCamo
Old School Crew

Originally posted by Ochdx
how come my stock ones were so much stiffer than accord?
different suspension charactoristics.

they don't share anything to the best of my knowledge... the civic and teg are similar, but not the accord and civic.

thats like climing into a mercedes, and noticing the nice smooth ride, then hopping into a BMW 325 and say oh my the suspension is harder.

it varies between cars man. its life. get over it

yea, your shocks being set to the hardest are definitly a large reason your ride is harsh. I've got pretty stiff springs, and my shocks on 2 out of 5 (five being firmest) and that is plenty stiff as it is. I couldn't image riding around on 5/5 daily.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:53 PM
Ochdx

I think its actually the springs that are more responsible for stiffness... I had my rear shocks set to soft before I got a front sway bar, to prevent oversteer, didn't seem much softer.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:03 PM
ManInCamo
Old School Crew

Originally posted by Ochdx
I think its actually the springs that are more responsible for stiffness... I had my rear shocks set to soft before I got a front sway bar, to prevent oversteer, didn't seem much softer.

I said it was a large reason, not the only reason.

I know what your saying. But, if you has easily adjustable shocks like mine, i can change setting in a minute or 4 and drive before and after, its more than you may notice after not driving it for a day, you get used to it. but i promise you that they would be softer on a lower setting.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:04 PM
dantastic
cx power!

civic have pretty stiff/poor ride quality to begin with. my ex had a 99 ex coupe, and her car rode like my lowered accord, except itdidnt handle nearly as well
Old 10-03-2002, 07:03 PM
frank
frank from canada

hey if i got new after market stiff shocks for my stock honda civic. unlowered. would it be 1) unsafe, 2) unnecessary 3) stupid 4) a waste or 5) a good thing that makes the car handle corners better

i need some info. always a learnin.

thanks