Notices

i bit off more than i can chew - mini me failure, couldnt get off timing belt cover

Old 09-25-2006, 01:09 PM
ReVenGe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah... thats just the thing... i could have easily done it like that.......

but i wanted to change the timing belts and water pump while i was at it....
Old 09-25-2006, 05:01 PM
ReVenGe

the mechanic suggests that i have the head cleaned and tested... he said he can do that for 100
Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 AM
mberndt

Originally Posted by ReVenGe
sooooooooooo..... on friday i finaly had all the parts i needed to do my mini me swap..... went to pep boys and bought all my fluids, belts, and some extra tools....

saturday went ok.... i got the intake minifold off, and the head.... but wasnt able to get off the timing belt cover or anything on that side...

so i looked up how to do it in th haynes manual, and it said to shove a screw driver into the flywheel and torque on the crank pulley....

i broke an extension socket, an 18 mm socket, and a half inch to 3/8's adapter trying to crack that nut....

after a whole day of getting nowhere, and having school... im just gonna have it towed and have it finished by a mechanic, and hopefully he will be able to wire up the vtec as well

im done

U sure the Haynes says to use a screwdriver in the flywheel? Mine specifically says to use a chain wrench...

I've done like 5 Timing belts on both B-series and D-series, and never had a problem...

Can't use 3/4 inch drive, use 1/2 inch...
Old 09-26-2006, 12:23 PM
ReVenGe

yeah.... i followed it exactly....

take off fly wheel cover and put a large screwdriver in the teeth..

it worked to keep the thing from moving... that bolt was just welded on by the devil
Old 10-23-2006, 12:45 PM
ReVenGe

update.........

so my mechanic 3 or 4 weeks ago sent the head to get machined.....

2 of the valves are bent and hes been trying to find the replacement for them
but he cant..... because aparantly everthing on the head is aftermarket and he doesnt know what valves to get......

normaly that would be a good thing having everything aftermarket, but in this case kind of realy fucks me over.

no car for 4 weeks FTL
Old 10-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by Omniscient
I spent a week trying to get that nut off. I tried a 500ft lb impact gun, 355ft lb impact gun, broke two breaker bars, a torque wrench, and two reducers. I overnighted the crank pulley holder tool from amazon for 37$ shipped and it came right off.
Yep.

Sears has it for $25

I tried to honk on that bolt w/ my electric impact wrench, and the bolt laughed at me.

Last edited by Chefboiali; 10-23-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:30 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car was garaged for 14 months the first time I built my motor. 4 weeks is nothing...
Old 10-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
My car was garaged for 14 months the first time I built my motor. 4 weeks is nothing...
Werd. Mine has been sitting for 8 months.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:52 PM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

I have had trouble with a few cars in the past, but I have a routine that ALWAYS works for me know.

First, I ALWAYS spray it with PB Blaster before even trying. Then take a hammer and hit the bolt a few times to get some harmonics through it and it will lossen up a little. Then I have someone sit in the car slam the brakes and put it in 5th gear. Also, make sure the car is on the ground and the wheel is touching the ground, becasue the wheel might try and turn. THen get a breaker bar (a strong one, not a whimpy little walmart special) and make sure you use an impact socket on it, not a regular one. Regular ones will break in no time. Use a little force and it will come off. I have also used my Air Impact gun sometimes too.

I have done the crank pulley bolt on probably 20-25 cars by now and haven't been able to not get it off. It may take a little more time, but I have never spent more than about 30 mins trying to get it off.

BTW, I never stick a screw driver in the flywheel........

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
mine was garaged for 9 months the first SWAP I did. I bought a gen 1 b16a not knowing what I was getting myself into. Now I can do an entire from start to finish swap in less than 8 hours lol

Originally Posted by ReVenGe
yeah.... i followed it exactly....

take off fly wheel cover and put a large screwdriver in the teeth..

it worked to keep the thing from moving... that bolt was just welded on by the devil
please dont ever put a screwdriver on the teeth of your flywheel...ever...please

Last edited by Civic2Scooby; 10-23-2006 at 11:00 PM.