Notices

adding manual tranny fluid.....

Old 08-03-2006, 07:41 AM
EricsLSHonda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding manual tranny fluid.....

i changed my clutch and everything was all set and i went and added tranny fluid. i have a 94 civic with a 2000 ls motor. it never leaked before but i think i put too much fluid in. i put almost 3 quarets and it takes less. my question is if you add too much does it leak? and i used 10W-30 cause everyone told me thats what i use in my car. i tried to look for honda mtf but i couldnt find it anywhere. if neone can help id appreciate it thanx.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:50 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you put too much fluid in, it can cause more pressure than should be created inside the tranny and force the excess pressure out of the point of least resistance. I would NEVER use 10W-30 unless you had no other choice and only temporarily. Honda MTF is sold at the dealership; I've never seen it elsewhere.

If you think you put too much in, there's a 'check plug' just up and to the left of the passenger's side axle when looking at the tranny from the passenger's side. You can remove this to allow any extra fluid to drain off.

Change that oil asap...
Old 08-03-2006, 09:21 AM
bnuk

is it possible to put too much in? I thought there was two plugs, drain and fill/check and you are supposed to fill it until its even with the fill plug, right?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:49 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

You can fill it at the speed senor as well allowing you to overfill it if the check plug isn't removed prior to filling it. You fill it till it flows out of the check plug. You can also fill it into the check plug, but I find it much easier to fill at the speed sensor.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:41 AM
EricsLSHonda

i know where the speed sensor is but where you fill it is right next to it its a small metal tube that sticks out right? so i can fill it there and just take out the fill plug on the bottom and when it comes out plug it up?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:00 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

The plug on the very bottom is the drain plug. You don't want to fill to that... that's not nearly enough. It's the plug above that to the left. Download the Helms manual in the Online Resources sticky for specific details. h:
Old 08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
EricsLSHonda

i know where the fill plug is cause i filled it until it came out but i used almost 3 quarts and its only supposed to be 2.3 quarts.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:47 PM
bnuk

dang that would be easier than wrestling a tube and funnel in there.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:25 PM
CivicRacr

Originally Posted by EricsLSHonda
i know where the fill plug is cause i filled it until it came out but i used almost 3 quarts and its only supposed to be 2.3 quarts.
was the car level when you filled it?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:35 PM
EricsLSHonda

yes it was as level as my eyes could see i lowered the jack with the tire off to where it would be with the tire on. looked very level.