Notices

i suck at life. (I think I bent a valve)

Old 07-17-2006, 07:46 AM
bnuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i suck at life. (I think I bent a valve)

I did the wifes timing belt saterday and I finished it up sunday morning. the battery was dead cause its on the way out and we were also holding the brakes down for too long, so I rolled it backwards out into the street, jumped with the GSR. No go... it barely idles for a couple seconds and then nothing after that. so i push it back in the garage, take off the the timing belt covers, sure enough the bottom sproket had jumped at three teeth. not sure how this happened cause i was pretty careful and I know it was lined up right when I put it in. Anyway, I fix that and get everything back together by like 2am. Try and start it and nothing. I'm pretty sure it is a bent valve (or 16) because when it turns over it is really smooth, like the spark plugs are out. So now Im scouring the forums looking for another head. damnit.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:41 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you do a valve adjustment after putting it on? Did you tension the belt per manual instructions?

When I did my head rebuild on the b16a I accidentally didn't tension it exactly the way the manual said and it was really loose on one side. Luckily it didn't jump a tooth (or five).
Old 07-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Chem Geek
H22A powered EH2!

I don't think 3 teeth is enough to bend valves, definately would run like crap (if at all) though. Also, even if you bent some valves, it should have some compression, unless you bent every valve on the motor, and you'd definately know it if you did that!

I'd take it back apart, go step by step back through the assembly of it, double check everything and try it again. Also like white_n_slow said, don't forget the valve adjustment while you're at it. Hope is not lost, try it again before you give up, and quadruple check the timing marks when putting it back together! If you have all the marks lined up, you won't bend any more valves than are already bent (if they are), so you have nothing to lose but some time. I'd really give that a try before pulling the head off to look for the worst case scenario.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:52 PM
bnuk

yeah the second time I had it perfect, on the crank the keyway was up, the mark on the sprocket and arrow were lined up and on the cam "UP" was up and lines were perfectly aligned with the top of the block. This is the third belt I've done and they went so well, I guess I just got lazy. :sad:

Yeah and when I say 3 teeth, it was more like 4 or 5, it was bad. :doh:
I was thinking about and I think it would depend wich way you are off, if the valves are early you are probably ok, but if they stay open late in the exhaust, the pistons are right there... They wouldn't have the valve shaped cavities in the pistons if it weren't close right?

I had to take a break tonight. I'll look at it again tomorrow. I'm pretty sure its valves, just the way it ran horribly for aout a half second and conked out... I just know this car and it doesn't sound right at all when it turns over. It almost sounds like 1 cylinder has compression cause for a couple revolutions it just turns and then it will sorta catch, and then it just turns again. I've already got a head on the way. $70 bucks shipped, I coulda held out for a better deal but the wife isn't to happy with me destroying her car... I'll post some pics of the carnage tomorrow.

*edit: also im talking about the crank here, so three teeth on the crank is like 6 teeth on the cam.

Last edited by bnuk; 07-18-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Pull the head and replace the valve. No reason to buy a new head. All you need is a new valve and a new headgasket.

I bent a valve a few months ago, just replaced the valve and it has been running perfectly since.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:16 AM
bnuk

oh yeah if it was my integra I would. But these heads are cheap. If I had time to screw around with it I might pull it out and see what it needs, but I need to get this fixed ASAP. If I get this head for $70 I know it will work, later on I might fix the other head. Where do you find single valves anyway? All i can find are complete sets.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

The dealership sells single valves. That is where I got my replacement valve.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:28 PM
sleezye

if the marks line up it can still be out of time the crank turns 2 times to the cams one usually its not going to bend a valve unless at high rpm and the belt breaks take out #1 plug stick a screwdriver in spark plug hole turn crank over until screwdriver at its highest point the mark should line up on the crank gear now line up the cam make sure the valves are closed by moving the rockers or just look at the cam it should be on the heel side on int. and exh. plus the cam gear mark should line up hope this helps saturday to sunday u can do all belts cam crank seals and water pump in 30mins oh yeah ive done my share
Old 07-19-2006, 02:35 PM
bnuk

^ what?

anyway, I got the head off last night and it while it doesn't look bad at all i can fit a .005" feeler gauge under several of the valves pretty easily, so that can't be right. The new head will be here friday, so I guess we'll see. You can see that on a couple of the exhuast valves they are kinda dinged up on the top edge, probably from the pistons. kinda hard to see in this pic but you can see the marks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1766.JPG (75.7 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by bnuk; 07-19-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:16 PM
bnuk

woot. Its 10:00 and I've been hammering away on it since noon. I got almost everything back on it, and I just got it to start. :hsughr:

check out my ghetto solution to get the crankshaft bolt off by myself:

Cliffs: 4 teeth can be enough to bend valves, if it is in the wrong direction, and it isn't always obvious when they are bent. Best thing to do would be to check your compression. Always triple check your timing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1760.JPG (87.2 KB, 86 views)