Notices

One gear

Old 07-11-2006, 07:30 AM
georgelv1999
'92 black widow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One gear

Ok, I got a dilemma for you guys. One of my friends owns a 99 Civic HX (I know, I know). Anyways, he bought the car about 1 1/2 years ago. Now, when I got in the car I noticed it wasn't changing gears (automatic) but the RPMs weren't going crazy. We would go on a stop, and he would press the gas, and it would go fine, but it wouldn't shift. We would go on the freeway, and same thing. The RPMs go basically with the speedometer. I know gears have a certain speed they go, but this is awkward. We call him the 2-gear car. One for going front, one for going back. Now, my question, can this car be chipped with something that makes it only go with one gear? Or is the tranny shot? I doubt this bcuz it runs fine, but don't shift. I've driven the car myself, and I'm waiting for the small tug, but the RPMs don't raise up quickly, just raise like the speedo.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:37 AM
b20hatchy
EM1 Crew member #74

Cliff notes?

The trans just isnt shifting?

So what is the top speed of the car?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:38 AM
Rock~1

well if its only in first gear than you cannot get to freeway speed. first gear shouldnt go much higher than 25 or 30 MPH depending on the transmission. getting to 65 - 70 mph would blow the engine in first gear. anyone else have any ideas.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:40 AM
b20hatchy
EM1 Crew member #74

yeah, it sonds like it is shifting from what your saying. How many forwrd gears does an hx auto trans have anyhow?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:43 AM
georgelv1999
'92 black widow

No, no. Ok, look, he accelerates, and the car sounds like it would be let's say it 4th gear bcuz it don't change. BUT! when he's taking off at a stop, it has power. I know if it was in 4th gear it would hardly have power to take off, but it does. That's what strange. The RPM's don't drop for the shift, but the car runs fine. On the freeway, at 65, the RPM's are at around 5000, when he's going on the street at 35, the RPMs are at 3500. He can push the car to around 95 with it red lining. That's what's weird. I would have thought the same thing. It couldn't be in 2nd, bcuz second reaches 40 tops. I wonder if it is a chip though.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:08 AM
jlicrx

the 99 HX was available with the optional CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) which doesn't actually shift - Basically, the CVT works by two variable diameter pulleys connected by a flexible metallic belt. The belt's position on the pulleys determines the amount of torque delivered to the front wheels. The CVT thus provides smooth, linear power. Although the shifter looks ordinary, the three forward settings, D for Drive, L for Low, and S for Sport, select not gears, but different levels of torque. The Sport setting keeps revs up a thousand more than the normal 2 to 3,000 rpm range for Drive, thus allowing for more spirited performance.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:47 AM
b20hatchy
EM1 Crew member #74

Originally Posted by jlicrx
the 99 HX was available with the optional CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) which doesn't actually shift - Basically, the CVT works by two variable diameter pulleys connected by a flexible metallic belt. The belt's position on the pulleys determines the amount of torque delivered to the front wheels. The CVT thus provides smooth, linear power. Although the shifter looks ordinary, the three forward settings, D for Drive, L for Low, and S for Sport, select not gears, but different levels of torque. The Sport setting keeps revs up a thousand more than the normal 2 to 3,000 rpm range for Drive, thus allowing for more spirited performance.

Shite! A regular old Honda Manual is what you sound like.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Rock~1

Oh man they put CVT's in them. thats cool, didnt think honda made one.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 AM
georgelv1999
'92 black widow

Ok, I gotcha. I'll let my friend know ASAP. That's real cool then. We thought his tranny was messed up.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:03 PM
fathergoat
:3

Originally Posted by jlicrx
handy info, I had no idea honda made a cvt in 99