Notices

flooding in northeast = hydrolock

Old 06-27-2006, 08:49 PM
dank24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flooding in northeast = hydrolock

Well not so funny earlyer in the week I was talking about getting a cover for my CAI. Now living in the northeat I bet everyone read the news that it's flooding everywhere. Out of no where they clsed the bridges, and evacuated part of a very large city (wilkes-barre). I live out in the country, so I wasn't really worried. I was heading home and all the highways were covered with about 1/2ft of water, or more. So I started heading for higher ground, bad choice!!! It was basicly a whole creek, the road that is. My car just stopped running. I screamed fuck! So I not here I am stuck my car is giving away to water and starting to go down the road, and I call my buddy with his lifted S10. pull me out to where there is no water and we inspect the car. I did not turn it over just because I don't want to throw a rod or anything if I havn't already. If the engine is gone fuck. Just for a description the water was up to my waste by th time i got out of the car.

So I went down with a buddy and tried to fix it. Took out the spark plugs and wouldnt even try to tun over. Had his CRV try and jump start it and still didn't even try to kick over. I am lost no on what to try next. Help before my car gets taken away by a creek
Old 06-27-2006, 08:53 PM
90CvcDX
kekeke

where's your car at now? same spot where it died? your whole interior is gonna be screwed. i live in reading and its bad up here. the whole city is on slopes and hills so alot gets flooded. my car hasnt moved from the spot i parked it at 2 days ago. im not risking hydrolocking my baby :happysad:
Old 06-27-2006, 08:59 PM
dank24

Originally Posted by 90CvcDX
where's your car at now? same spot where it died? your whole interior is gonna be screwed. i live in reading and its bad up here. the whole city is on slopes and hills so alot gets flooded. my car hasnt moved from the spot i parked it at 2 days ago. im not risking hydrolocking my baby :happysad:

its in a higher spot now. But I want to get it home asap. Before it gets broken into or water comes
Old 06-27-2006, 09:03 PM
90CvcDX
kekeke

i could be wrong cuz ive never dealt with hydrolocking but i think people open the motor up and get all the water in the cylinders and lube everything up before it rusts... see if its been talked about before by searching
Old 06-27-2006, 09:07 PM
dank24

yea im gonna get a tiny hose thing and suck it out tomorrow. spray with wd40 and see if it works
Old 06-27-2006, 09:11 PM
90CvcDX
kekeke

AAA is always good to have, and its cheap too. you should check it out just in case these things happen again. i've had to depend on them twice in the past and im glad i had it, saved me alot of money and stress.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:17 PM
dank24

i think my mom has AAA. I am probably gonna use it tomorrow
Old 06-28-2006, 05:34 AM
misterknowbody
Unknown Member

Do you have a cold air intake?

*Note* For those of you out there (in the NE) with a “Cold Air” intake, remember with the filter element mounted so close to the road it will act like a vacuum when you drive over even 6 inches of water. Even less if your car is REAL low.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:56 AM
Buyimports2

Cold Air Intake = not worth the .001 horsepower increase over a short ram intake.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:22 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

If you drive with common sense cold air is worth it over shortie. But for daily driving there's no need for a cold air really.

Do what these guy say. Open up the engine and let it dry. Make sure to lube everything since oil displaces water.