Notices

Speedometer, Engine Light, Then nothing.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:23 PM
cvchtchbck92
Anti-Ebayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer, Engine Light, Then nothing.

This is odd. I started driving, and my speedometer starts jumping and then dies. A minute later, the engine light turns on. I'm like, it must be the speedometer sensor. I noticed a lot of people been getting a speedometer issue these past couple of months.
Anyways, I run my erand, and when I turn on the car, the engine light is off, and the speedometer starts working:eh: . So I wasn't able to use the bypass to check the code on the engine light.
Any thoughts anyone.

History: Swapped engine to a B18C, swapped cluster to a one with a tach, put on a white dash.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:05 PM
cvchtchbck92
Anti-Ebayer

Adiitional Info: Everytime I start my car, the engine light is off. Like five minutes or a couple of miles into driving, the engine light turns on. Throughout the whole time, the speedometer is dead.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Most likely, the VSS is on it's way out. Since it is an electrical unit in 92+ cars like yours, it is prone to random failure before it finally stops working.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:13 AM
flyerhky11

When you replace the VSS, does it have to come out of the same type of transmission, i.e. auto or manual? Do they have the same gear ratio to send to the speedometer?