Notices

Shakey steering

Old 06-09-2006, 08:05 PM
typercivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shakey steering

I have a 95 civic with a 98 JDM ITR motor. I have tokico struts with eibach springs and a stock SI sway bar. I'm running 16" Rota's. I've replaced the upper control arm with skunk2 camber adjusters and put new axles on. The car handles okay but the problem I'm running into is noisy shakey steering. It started out very minor but is getting annoying to the point of BAD shaking over 50 mph. By the way, I have manual steering for those that might be able to help. When I'm stopped, jogging the steering wheel from left to right repeatedly results in a "too much play" in the rack and pinion by both hearing and feeling. When the car is parked and I physically grab the wheels I get NO play from top to bottom but get considerable play from front to back. Do I need a new rack and pinion? I'm not afraid of replacing it myself but am not too good at troubleshooting. My tie rod ends look in good repair. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:42 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Did you start out with the most obvious and get the wheels/tires balanced? Do you have aftermarket wheels and tires? if so how large? Have you hit any potholes or curbs?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:05 PM
typercivic

I forgot to mention, every little bump I go over I get this sound like something's loose. I've checked everything and everything is tight with the exception of the lateral play like I mentioned in the original post. And yes, the wheels/tires have been balanced.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:37 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

When were they balanced?

And the rattle could be a heat shield for your exhaust or the actual exhaust hitting something. I know I had that problem with my A'PEXi N1 exhaust joint hitting my gas tank.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:46 AM
m735is

How about the inner tie rods?

I had a shakey steering the other day. Doing about 60, I thought the wheel was going to fall off, whatever caused it fixed it self in about 3 miles. I'm thinking a rock or something stuck in the treads.

I do have a slight shaking again, but I think my tires are out of balance and I know my wheels can't still be straight-love the potholes and manhole covers!

Also make sure your lugs and axle nuts are tight!
Old 06-10-2006, 04:54 AM
typercivic

Look, I appreciate the help so far. Simple question, can this be the rack and pinion? EVERYTHING has been checked for tightness so far except the rack and pinion. No loose heat sheilds, no stones in the tread.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:21 AM
fathergoat
:3

by the sounds of it it's going to be in the steering system or tierod ends. Either way it's getting dangerous so try not to drive it anywhere till it gets fixed. When in doubt you could always take it to a shop for a diagnosis. How did you check the tierod ends? Just because the nuts tight it doesn't mean the tierod is still good. You need to check that there is no play at the ball, it should be pretty tight. I'm just telling you this to make sure, not trying to insult you or anything.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:21 AM
b20hatchy
EM1 Crew member #74

I can almost promise you that it is the inner tie rod ends. I just replaced my right-side inner 2 weeks ago. Same symptoms as you stated. The reason you cant see it cause there is a rubber boot over it. Take the boot off by cutting the metal rings and then take the tie-rod end off. Put the new one on and then the boot. Uae zip-ties to install the boot.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:39 AM
typercivic

Thanks father and B20. The outers I checked by taking them out of the steering knuckle-they're fine. No, I haven't checked the inners. I will today though. Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:09 PM
96scgsrcoupe

No, rack and pinions dont just go out unless you have removed your power steering pump in order to save horespower. In doing this, you are slowely screwing up your racknpinion. Good luck with this.