Notices

Funny brake issue

Old 05-26-2006, 11:10 PM
rowsc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny brake issue

I just bought a 1995 Civic EX Coupe w/o ABS. I knew it needed new front wheel bearings, but was waiting for the semester to end before replacing them. With a week to go they were so bad that the brake pedal would go all the way to the floor once the hubs got heated up. I immediately parked it until I could get to the bearings.

The bearing swap went fine with all the usual hassles. But I am still having problems losing brake pressure. It is not nearly as bad as it was. When I first get in the car the brakes are solid. After several miles around town they soften, and if I have to wait at a stop light I can feel the pedal slowly move towards the floor. A quick jump on the pedal and it is almost back to the top, but starts to move downwards again.

My first thought was I boiled the fluid so I flushed it. No difference. My next theory is that I overheated the calipers (The right side bearing was so dry it is amazing it didn't start a fire). Since the problem seems to occur as the brakes get hot, the calipers seem a likely suspect.

What I don't understand is how fluid is getting by the seals in the caliper so quickly as to allow a steady decline to the floor, but allow at least some fluid back in with a single pump. To me that sounds more like a master cylinder issue.

There are no fluid leaks that I can spot.

If you have suggestions for replacement brake pads I would be interested in your experiences as well.

Thanks,

Rich
Old 05-27-2006, 12:28 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your master cylinder is leaking internally. Replace it and the problem will stop.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:53 PM
schmi220
Large Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my thoughts exactly:thumbup: