Notices

civic drinking water and over flowing

Old 05-02-2006, 12:09 PM
honda_civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic drinking water and over flowing

hi, my civic 1994 1.5l SOHC non vtec (D15B2) keeps drinking water from the expansion bottle next to the radiator. everytime i drive for 5 mins it drinks all the water from the expansion bottle. after cooiling down the engine the water does not come back into the expansion tank. i fill it up half again and it drinks it al again. however sometimes the radiator blows alot of water into the expansion tank causing it to overflow and leak out. this has been happning for a few months now

i have changed the radiator cap
- Flushed the radiator and bleeded it
- changed thermostat

there is no oil mixing with water and car drives fine so i dont think its the head gasket.

the engine has 111k on it and no signs of radator leaking or hoses

can anybody help me as i have taken it to a few places and nobody can help.

thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 12:56 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it burn any smoke out of the exhuast?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:03 PM
honda_civic

Default civic drinking water

no it does not burn any smoke out of the exhaust. sometimes there ared rops of water or something dripping from the exhaust maybe condensation or sumthing.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:47 PM
cvchtchbck92
Anti-Ebayer

Is your antifreeze and water balanced?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:01 PM
honda_civic

yes its balanced. were is the water going is what i dont understand and why?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:05 PM
rover 400 sdi

head gasket failitures ,but search any coolant water leak before ,even inside of you car ,cheers
Old 05-04-2006, 12:17 AM
thecarguy

Check your passenger side floor board. See if it's wet. If you have a leak in your heater core, it will leak on the passenger side floor board. Check by where your feet would be and check the carpet up closer to the bottom of the dash. hth
Old 05-04-2006, 02:28 AM
honda_civic

Default civic radiator

hi i recently changed the inside carpet and noticed that the floor were the passenger seat was there was water there only a small amount but no water near the top of the carpet were the passenger feet goes. also when i take the car to high revs u can sometimes smell coolant inside the car. the heaters work fine. i noticed that in the morning i fulled the expasnsion tank half then after 1 hr of drving i opened the hood and u cud hear the car sucking in the water and i checked the expansion tank and it was emty. thanks
Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 AM
waaBAAH

you should know where it is lekaing from....it has to go somewhere....

check your oil...any in there?

check your engine bay for water/coolant. and clean the old shit off so you can find new water/coolant.

likw stated above...check your floor board again.

fill the car to the top.....start it up....and wait for the temp to rise.....see if the fan comes on....see if the car leaks and find out where. mkae sure the car wont overheat while you are waiting for the leak to appear. then report back
Old 05-04-2006, 03:12 PM
honda_civic

Default civic drinking water

hi i checked the whole carpet and no leaks there anymore must have bwwn drink spilled there before but i noticed that there in oil around the rocker cover gasket but not loosing oil at moment. anyway today were im from in uk it was quite hot 26 degrees after a cold winter and the cars fan was on all day. it kept coming on and off every 5 mins. but the car did not over heat. but instaed of drinking water it done what it used to do before and started overflowing water into expansion bottle and the bottle became full. i emtyed some water out and after 20 mins it became full again.

im going to get engine cleaned properly and then spot any new leaks as it is hard to tell at moment because coolant is everywhere from when it was overflowing from expansion bottle. the pipes seemes to be very stiff as well.