Notices

Bogging, Misfire, Odd Idle and ECU Code 43

Old 04-02-2006, 03:47 PM
buzlink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogging, Misfire, Odd Idle and ECU Code 43

Well I've been trying to troubleshoot a bogging and idling problem for a week now. At first I thought the O2 sensor was going out, but that is not the problem as it has been replaced and the problem is still occurring.

The car bogs and acts as if it doesn't want to run, and under load will misfire, for example in second gear while accelerating, and going up a steep hill at 70MPH in 5Th gear. These symptoms usually only happen after driving for at least 20-30 minutes and the outside temperature must be 50 degrees F or above. Any degrees less either causes the problem to happen after a longer amount of time or if it is 40 degrees F or colder the problem seems to not to occur.
The problem will go away if the car sits for at least 2 hours and then will have the above happen depending how long the car is driven and the conditions outside.
The car will start up fine even have the probelm has occured.

ECU is showing Code 43 if I'm reading the blinks correctly.
The O2 sensor has been replaced with a Bosch O2 sensor.
I am still having the problem.
How do I begin trouble shooting other problems of a ECU code 43 Fuel Supply?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:30 PM
JDMPONY00

Originally Posted by buzlink
Well I've been trying to troubleshoot a bogging and idling problem for a week now. At first I thought the O2 sensor was going out, but that is not the problem as it has been replaced and the problem is still occurring.

The car bogs and acts as if it doesn't want to run, and under load will misfire, for example in second gear while accelerating, and going up a steep hill at 70MPH in 5Th gear. These symptoms usually only happen after driving for at least 20-30 minutes and the outside temperature must be 50 degrees F or above. Any degrees less either causes the problem to happen after a longer amount of time or if it is 40 degrees F or colder the problem seems to not to occur.
The problem will go away if the car sits for at least 2 hours and then will have the above happen depending how long the car is driven and the conditions outside.
The car will start up fine even have the probelm has occured.

ECU is showing Code 43 if I'm reading the blinks correctly.
The O2 sensor has been replaced with a Bosch O2 sensor.
I am still having the problem.
How do I begin trouble shooting other problems of a ECU code 43 Fuel Supply?
it sucks but you have to look up fuel supply problems in you haynes book and go through every single senario and figure it out
Old 04-04-2006, 12:43 AM
thecarguy

replace your fuel filter. see if that makes a difference
Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 AM
buzlink

Originally Posted by thecarguy
replace your fuel filter. see if that makes a difference
Fuel Filter was replaced just at the begining of the year.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 06:23 AM
JDMPONY00

Originally Posted by buzlink
Fuel Filter was replaced just at the begining of the year.

Thanks
get your haynes book and go through the different problems that can cause your situation.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:29 AM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

I have almost the same issue but no ECU codes showed up. It only happened yesterday and not today. Did you use a Honda fuel filter? I used one made by GKI made in China. Do you also get pinging at low RPMs like in 2nd gear and accelerating from a rolling stop? I had this issue and replaced my GKI filter with another one.

I'm planning on some fuel treatment for my injectors. Eventually, I'll replace my fuel filter with a Honda one. I think the GKI filters are too restrictive. If a Honda filter doesn't fix it, I'll take the injectors out and get them professionally cleaned. If it's still got problems, I'll look at replacing the fuel pump. Just check each issue from cheapest to most expensive. If you had a way of measuring fuel pressure, you'd know right away if it's a fuel pump.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:09 AM
buzlink

Originally Posted by dpkelly
I have almost the same issue but no ECU codes showed up. It only happened yesterday and not today. Did you use a Honda fuel filter? I used one made by GKI made in China. Do you also get pinging at low RPMs like in 2nd gear and accelerating from a rolling stop? I had this issue and replaced my GKI filter with another one.

I'm planning on some fuel treatment for my injectors. Eventually, I'll replace my fuel filter with a Honda one. I think the GKI filters are too restrictive. If a Honda filter doesn't fix it, I'll take the injectors out and get them professionally cleaned. If it's still got problems, I'll look at replacing the fuel pump. Just check each issue from cheapest to most expensive. If you had a way of measuring fuel pressure, you'd know right away if it's a fuel pump.
I'm not sure what type of fuel filter, I’m using cheapo fuel filter from AutoZone, cost something like 12-20 dollars or something.
Yes I do get some pinging, slap during moderate acceleration especially up hills, and in 5th on the highway going up long hills.

Thanks for the input, let me know if you resolve the problem.

Last edited by buzlink; 04-04-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:14 AM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

After I replaced the filter I noticed the pinging was gone at low rpms. When I loosened the banjo bolt, no fuel came out (i.e. filter was totally plugged). Unfortunately, I bought another one and replaced it with another GKI filter because it's all I had in hand. :doh:

Definitely I'll install a Honda fuel filter soon.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:31 AM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

The pinging is back as of yesterday. Tonight I'm going to remove the intake manifold and see if it's clogged or my injectors are badly clogged. It ran fine with some fuel injector cleaner on the previous tank but now it's not.

I also noticed some oil in the coolant.

I suspect a lean mixture is causing the engine to heatup and warp the head causing a headgasket leak. Hmmm I'm thinking of a newer engine since this one has 250k miles.