Notices

How the hell can these be related??

Old 03-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the hell can these be related??

Ok, this may take a little while to explain. Over the course of last summer and last winter my car would either stay at a good temperature and always start or it would overheat and it would need to be pop started. Today it got a little hot, it didn't over heat but I got home and shut my car off. I was just about to go out and my car wouldn't start. This is the imfamous starting problem I've made numerous threads about. So I said fuck it and jumped my clutch position switch and my car starts. How can my car overheating be related to my clutch position switch giving out? Their either related or it's a coincidence that occurs 100% of the time my car overheats. After about 9 months, countless hours, new ground wires, countless radiator parts and a new starter I finally figured out it's my clutch position switch that has been giving out. But why is it only when my car overheats?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:35 PM
ReVenGe

thats realy weird..... i dont know enouh about the whole clutch starter poistion checker thingy............

but that ive tested it on my car and its not the same every time...

i test it by turnin on the car and then slowly pressing down the clutch untill the starter will go.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

There are 2 sensors on the clutch. It's pretty much a simple push button. One is triggered when the clutch is pushed in and the other is triggered when the clutch isn't pushed in. If you jump the sensor for it being pushed in you can start your car without having to push in the clutch. After I did so, the car started. I'm completely fuckin' stumped as to why it only does that when my car goes over 1/3 temp. I could have saved a lot of money if I had just jumped it last summer like someone said.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Fkatz

where is this sensor located at many sensors don't work correctly when they get hot sensors are very touchy remeber that
Old 03-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by Fkatz
where is this sensor located at many sensors don't work correctly when they get hot sensors are very touchy remeber that
It's actually mounted on the clutch pedal up where the bracket is that hold all 3 pedals in place.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

unrelated carma :dunno:

they are totaly unrelated man.. thats just odd
Old 03-29-2006, 06:57 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Originally Posted by Omniscient
Ok, this may take a little while to explain. Over the course of last summer and last winter my car would either stay at a good temperature and always start or it would overheat and it would need to be pop started. Today it got a little hot, it didn't over heat but I got home and shut my car off. I was just about to go out and my car wouldn't start. This is the imfamous starting problem I've made numerous threads about. So I said fuck it and jumped my clutch position switch and my car starts. How can my car overheating be related to my clutch position switch giving out? Their either related or it's a coincidence that occurs 100% of the time my car overheats. After about 9 months, countless hours, new ground wires, countless radiator parts and a new starter I finally figured out it's my clutch position switch that has been giving out. But why is it only when my car overheats?
You should seriously fix the overheating issue because your engine isnt gonna last much longer.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by F22B Prelude
You should seriously fix the overheating issue because your engine isnt gonna last much longer.
I don't know what it is other than my thermostat. It might just be a fucked up ECT sensor. My headgasket and rings are at a good psi on the compresson test and i have no mixing of coolant and anti freeze. Neither of those are leaking. It doesn't go to the red it goes about 1/2 way then drops back down. I probably should have mentioned that. It never went hot, it just went 1/2 way, I thought I mentioned that in this thread, but it was one I made yesterday.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:28 PM
jeterkm02
hatchbacks r my anti-drug

have you noticed any correlation between the engine temp and having the heat on inside the car? did you bleed the coolant to make sure no air is in there?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by jeterkm02
have you noticed any correlation between the engine temp and having the heat on inside the car? did you bleed the coolant to make sure no air is in there?
I'm sure it has to be just an odd concidence. I was about 70 degrees outside today so I had the heat off in the car. When I adjusted my FITV I didn't bleed the coolant because it was right before work. Since today was the first really warm day of the year it is possible that the heat combined with a possible air pocket caused the temperature to rise. I thought it said in the handbook that anything over 1/2 way is dangerous. The temp needle would go to 1/2 way then go back down to 1/3. It only did this in heavy stop and go traffic for about 1/2 an hour. My fan would come on when the temp got to 1/2 way. I'm going to replace my thermostat and radiator cap tomorrow and I'll be sure to bleed the coolant. That's the only thing I can really think of since the lowest number in the compression test was 172 the rest were either 175 or a hair under.