Notices

how many psi?

Old 03-16-2006, 10:02 AM
RSXt3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many psi?

how many psi of boost is safe to run on a d16y8 stock with intake and cat back exhaust as a daily driver?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:24 AM
SIcivic99
SIcivic99

Ummm, if it's all stock and you haven't done any internal work i would say 5-7 psi, but some people do more. Depends on how comfortable you are with it and how much strain u want to put on your stock engine.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Secondhandloser

I wouldn't run any, to be safe.

Upgrade the engine, then run boost.

It will save you money in the long run, because you won't have engine trouble.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

all answers here are worthless without knowing what size turbo!
Old 03-16-2006, 11:47 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Running925
all answers here are worthless without knowing what size turbo!
Exactly.

As always, I fall back on my experience:
SleeperCivicEX ran his Y8 on a Greddy kit at 12psi daily. The piston ringlands gave up after a long while, as is common OEM pistons/rings.

I'm getting sick of these "how much boost" threads. It's so meaningless and obviously has nothing to do with power. It only has to do with the ability to say "I'm running 7 psi :yay:!"
Old 03-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by Secondhandloser

No.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Civic2Scooby

from now on you do not speak until spoken to.

it is perfectly fine to run boost on a stock motor as long as it is tuned properly.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:03 PM
2gr84u
2gr84u

lol these threads crack me up. For all the reasons posted above your question is way to vague. Need to know the size of the turbo and the other is the condition of the motor. the RIGHT question is to ask how much POWER can you make on stock internals, as hp and tq is the determining factor to whether your engine takes a crap on you. The stock D16z6 can handle about 230hp without and changing of the guts but i would definently get some ARP headstuds and make sure you have atleast an OEM metal head gasket, as stock head studs like to lift under boost. Also ive heard ALOT of horror stories about the y8 crapping out more often the z6, so id just keep that in mine, though there are still alot of y8s that boost just fine
Old 03-18-2006, 05:35 AM
Secondhandloser

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
from now on you do not speak until spoken to.

it is perfectly fine to run boost on a stock motor as long as it is tuned properly.
First, it does cause extra wear on the engine, even if you are running at just a few PSI. The engine is not designed to handle it, and even if it does not show any problems immediately, they will appear down the road.

I don't even really see why everyone wants to turbo their car before uprading the engine- you want see full benefits until you have some parts replaced and the engine tuned properly. And you run much less risk of messing something up.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:41 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, it does cause extra wear on the engine, even if you are running at just a few PSI. The engine is not designed to handle it, and even if it does not show any problems immediately, they will appear down the road.

I don't even really see why everyone wants to turbo their car before uprading the engine- you want see full benefits until you have some parts replaced and the engine tuned properly. And you run much less risk of messing something up.
I don't agree. It is true that a turbo can put more stress on a motor, but turbos are extremely efficient. If you don't abuse the turbo by overboosting and not tuning properly then your engine will last quite a while. FI is the fastest, safest way to get a real hp gain and it isn't outrageously expensive. I'm a firm proponent of the intelligent booster. :yes: