Notices

oil change hi miles 96 civic

Old 03-08-2006, 10:33 AM
asilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change hi miles 96 civic

I just bought a 96 civic lx with 176,000 miles. the engine is dirty, especially around the oil cap and heavy around the valve cover gasket (much more under the cap). I am planning on cleaning the engine when i get some more info on covering the electrical gadgets so i can see if i have any leaks there. It appears not alot of care was taken with the car although it drives and shifts well. What kind of oil should I use? What weight (I was thinking about 5/40--real thin and pretty thick seems to cover the spread) I was told to stay away from synthetics because they are too thin and potential leaks could show up. Should i use an additive? Ive already added some oil detergent before the change with the idea that it will clean now and the gunk will leave when I change it. I bought some "Lucas Heavy Duty Oil stabilizer" with plans to add ii but is that over kill? I want to start taking care of this car, especially while I am still in the "thralls" of 'new(to me)car ownership. I plan to change my brake fluid by gravity flushing and which ever other ones can be done by this method. It seems like it is not a good idea to flush fluids in a car with this many miles because something may leave that was working for you previously. Any advice will be much appreciated. Asilo
Old 03-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Moved to Civic/del Sol/EL.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:03 PM
hoyoung02
HEAT:Shift_TechkaV

Use Simple Green.

DO NOT SPRAY WATER ALL OVER YOUR ENGINE BAY AND START WORKING ON IT.

Simple green comes in bottle or by the gallons, just mix up the solution to it's recommendations, but more oil/grease/stains = the higher constration you'll need.

but if you insist..cover up battary, or best if you remove it and go from there, alternator, air-filter if it is exposed like SRI would be. and also cover up any eletranic boxes like fuse box, head-light harness.

but you should be ok if you just use simple green.

just direct spray at the spot and use soft brush, tooth brush is damn great, and towel.

this should do the trick.