Notices

turbo head gasket

Old 02-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Fkatz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo head gasket

how much more psi could i run with a thicker head gasket around 75mm is it worth it to lower the compression to add more boost does the two offset each other any info appreciated
Old 02-28-2006, 05:45 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

? what motor? what turbo? shape of motor? lots of variables. list ur goals and what u have to work with. lot of people just use an OEM honda gasket
Old 02-28-2006, 05:47 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

changing your head gasket to change compression is Not the right way to do it.

Secondly, the change in compression would be so small, it's not worth one bit of it.

don't waste your time
Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 AM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by Fkatz
how much more psi could i run with a thicker head gasket around 75mm is it worth it to lower the compression to add more boost does the two offset each other any info appreciated

Just a tid bit of info for you...
By changing the compression your engine will NOT be able to handle any more power. I assume it's a stock motor because your thinking of doing a band-aid fix instead of swapping pistons.
If it's a d-series your good for about 230whp regardless if you are running 9.5:1 compression or 8:1 compression, B-series is good for about 300whp or so regardless if your running 10.8:1 compression or 9:1 compression...It's the stock factory cast internals thats are the limiting factors not your compression.
If you really want to spend a few hundred swapping out gaskets to lower your compression from say 9.5:1 to 9.2:1 then by all means waste your money doing so and have fun Your not going to make any more power by doing so....hopefully you'll learn something by doing it yourself.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:32 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always loved these questions. It's not 'how much hp can I gain', it's 'how much more boost'. :chuckles:

Budget boost can work if done RIGHT... and this is not the right way to go. :nono:
Old 02-28-2006, 02:45 PM
2gr84u
2gr84u

Are you turboed already? If not i would suggest reading up because your thoughts are little misguided. For example, you ask how much boost can you run with a stock motor, when the correct question is how much POWER can the stock motor handle. By this i mean you could use a tiny weed wacker turbo like a t25 and run 14 pounds of boost and only make 230whp, which would be fine on a stock motor. BUT if you were running that same 15psi on a t3/t4 youd be making closer to 300hp and that would definently lead to to some problems on a stock motor.
Honestly if your looking for a worthwhile mod i would suggest some ARP head studs and nice OEM headgasket. Most stock headstuds are prone to lifting underboost which leads to premature headgasket failure, so investing 100 bucks on ARP headstuds DEFINENTLY a good idea.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
I've always loved these questions. It's not 'how much hp can I gain', it's 'how much more boost'. :chuckles:

Budget boost can work if done RIGHT... and this is not the right way to go. :nono:

Cause more boost equals more power....
Who cares what size the turbo is or the tuning set-up is...i'm running 15psi yo lol

Key word is "done right".....
It still comes back to

cheap:
Reliable:
Fast:
Pick two and sacrifice the other
Old 02-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Fkatz

thanks for the input i asked this question cuz i talked to a guy at white's pit stop it's a performance shop for mainly domestic cars he said that i would need a good headgasket not neccesarily a thicker one for a turbo application i am new to the turbo set up i've been reading alot about for the last couple months in magazines and internet in modified they actually have an add for a thicker head gasket for turbo application just wondering if it was worth it
Old 02-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Most if not all aftermarket headgaskets are just for added durability, or just another product for a company to sell because they know people will buy them.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:25 PM
raiden571
turning u inside out

a thicker head gasket can actually dramaticlly lower compression, just read on cometics web site. there thicker gaskets can decrease up to .4 i believe. a turbo kit can easily be built for around 1000 and thats with quality parts. if ur building a budget d, vitara pistons, ls machined rods, cometic head gasjet and arp head studs. id feel confident it could handle 278-300 whp