Notices

civic 1994 ball joint

Old 01-30-2006, 03:33 PM
honda_civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic 1994 ball joint

my civic 1994 kept on making banging sides from the driver side front wheel. i noticed that the cv joint was ripped so i replaced it and got an alignment done. but the car keeps making banging sounds. i think that the ball joint maybe damaged. when turning there is no clicks or bangs its fine and also when the car is stationary and turning its fine but when driving it keeps banging. ive checked all suspension, trailing arms etc and there tight so what can be making these banging sounds?

thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 03:43 PM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

lower control arm.... just replace mine same symptoms as yours
Old 01-30-2006, 03:54 PM
honda_civic

Default civic ball joint.

i dont quite understand. do u have any pics. do u mean upper or lower control arm but the ball joint is underneth the disc thing. thanks
Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 PM
m735is

He means the lower control arm. You can replace the bushings in them or just buy new or used if that's the problem. Have you checked the balljoints? Especially the upper one. Just grab it (the knuckle) and shake the snot of it. You can hear it clunk if there's play in it. Mine are going, they only make the clunk when I'm turning into a driveway or something with a lip. And I can get a small clunk out of them when I shake them. The lowers you need to pry on with a large screwdriver or pry bar.
It could be your shock mounts too. Have you replaced anything suspension wise besides the CV axle?
My wife's CR-V has a clunk going over bumps straight ahead-I still haven't found anything loose or worn. Good luck.

Edit: I was changing the oil today and wiggled the left front wheel while it was off the ground. There was a lot of play, I thought the wheel bearing was shot, but the tie rod end was loose. We'll see if the knocking from that side is gone. The other side is the upper ball joint, then mine should be knock free for a few more miles.

Any luck finding what is knocking on yours?

Re read your post: Do you have a sway bar mounted in front? If so, it could be the endlinks or mounts.

Last edited by m735is; 02-02-2006 at 12:17 PM.