Notices

crank bolt woes

Old 01-09-2006, 03:30 PM
dawgking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank bolt woes

does anyone have any idea how to get the crank bolt out of a 93 civic. I have used a 1/2 drive impact, PB Blaster and heat and no luck. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. need to get it off so i can change the water pump and idler tensioner.:dunno:
Old 01-09-2006, 08:38 PM
waaBAAH

be creative.......lol....they do make a tool that you could buy. looks like a breaker bar with a huge hex shape "key". sometimes crank pulleys have holes in them. (dont know which one but i remeber a crank pully haveing one). stick a srewdriver in there....make sure it is a strong screwdriver bc it probaly will bend with the small holes of the crank pully. last....i repeat last resort.....try .....nevermind...i wont say it........people will call me wacko or something....lol
Old 01-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Civic2Scooby

breaker bar with slide over extension FTW
Old 01-09-2006, 10:00 PM
waaBAAH

breaker bar with slide over exension?????um...how do you keep the pulley from spinning? you must have very ,extremly, very good ,awesome compression. lol just go buy the damn tool...i think it is 80 bucks...but then charge your friends for usage.....(everyone will ask for it trust me)
Old 01-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by waaBAAH
breaker bar with slide over exension?????um...how do you keep the pulley from spinning? you must have very ,extremly, very good ,awesome compression. lol just go buy the damn tool...i think it is 80 bucks...but then charge your friends for usage.....(everyone will ask for it trust me)
I just put a big strap wrench around the pulley :dunno: it worked fine.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
I just put a big strap wrench around the pulley :dunno: it worked fine.
Or you could put it in 5th gear and have a buddy on the brakes. It does the same thing....but that is assuming you don't have an automatic.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
Or you could put it in 5th gear and have a buddy on the brakes. It does the same thing....but that is assuming you don't have an automatic.
when I was taking mine off it was when my car was undergoin the swap so the front hubs were still swung out and the axles werent in......

but yes you can do 5th gear and the break and you dont even need a buddy, I have jammed a 2x4 against the break and then slid the seat up to hold it there :goodjob:
Old 01-10-2006, 06:13 PM
icyfingers

http://shoptoolsshoptools.com/shopexd.asp?id=1897
with one of these!!!!

omfg it's awesome... it took me more time to open the package than to get the bolt off. def worth it!!

and i didn't damage anything, or have to try starting the car, or take the starter out.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:27 PM
JDMPONY00

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...table+Wrenches
it's 14.99 and it's a craftsman so lifetime warrenty you could use a strap wrench around the pulley this might work and it's less expensive than that specialized tool you could use it for more that getting the pulley bolt off aswell