Notices

2000 Civic will stall after Battery was changed

Old 01-09-2006, 09:36 AM
jmonter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic will stall after Battery was changed

Hello Everyone,
I have a Honda Civic 2000, 100kmiles. I changed the battery and now the car stalls when I came to stop. The idle RPM will go bellow 0 and the car dies.

Its there a reset I need to do when replacing the battery? This happend to me once before when I left my lights on and the battery drain, I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong all they did was reprograms the RPM. That's when it was under warranty.

Please help.

Thanks,
Julio
Old 01-09-2006, 11:39 AM
PDiggityDogg
Meanwhile, up in The D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

disconnecting the battery is the reset

what is the rpm of the car at idle normally? should be ~500-800.
Is the clutch grabbing?
You may just have have a poor battery connection - make sure the bolts on the connectors are tight and terminals are clean
Old 01-09-2006, 08:00 PM
RsEagle27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the same problem with my 2000 Civic, with only 89k miles on it. I replaced the battery, made sure all the connections were good, and all that good stuff. Before I changed batteries, it idled at around 800 RPM, which is normal. After, its at like 200rpm, then it just dies. After about 10-15 minutes of it idling, it jumps back up to normal. I was told by a friend that the cars just reprogramming itself how to run. Its rather annoying..because at a redlight, I have to keep one foot on the brake, and on foot on the gas, just enough to keep it around 1k rpm, so it dosent die. But like I said...eventually it goes away, and idles normal....so it should be nothing to worry about.