Notices

98 Civic coupe - guidance on new HU & alarm

Old 12-29-2005, 01:49 PM
shortnugly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic coupe - guidance on new HU & alarm

Hey all, new to the forum.

Just got a 98 Civic HX coupe, 5-speed.

I don't have the original keys that may have had the keyless entry. Though the car does have an electic unlock switch on the door.

I wanna install an alarm with keyless entry and a new HU. I was thinking the order that I do this may matter.

I plan to have the alarm, with keyless entry, installed first.

Then, I'll install a new HU using the Scosche install wiring kit:
HAK3B: This kit is for a Civic vehicle WITHOUT the Remote Keyless Entry System or for an individual that does not care about losing the Keyless entry system to replace the Factory radio. Even on base model Civics, the dome light will not operate once the Factory OEM radio is removed. This kit includes a simple bypass connector to restore the function of the interior dome light and the standard Scosche HA02 for the Power/Speaker connector for the new stereo.

This way I'll have the alarm unlocking the doors and retain the dome lights with the new HU.

Good plan? Anything I missed?

Any other/better/easier ways to do this?

Thanks

Did some research on the HU and found
Old 12-29-2005, 04:23 PM
PDiggityDogg
Meanwhile, up in The D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can just connect the green/black and green/red wires off the green 16pin connector to retain the dome light.

It doesnt really matter which you do first.
But, if you get the headunit, you will either have to spring a few $$ for a Y-harness to power the factory radio OR deal without having keyless until you get the alarm.
If you get the alarm first, just connect the door unlock/lock to the power lock wires in the floor/door harness. This will bypass the factory keyless (whether you have it or not isnt a factor)
Old 12-29-2005, 09:46 PM
shortnugly

Perfect, that's what I'll do.

Get the alarm first, gonna toss the factory radio anyway.

Anybody make a pocket for where the factory CD is down below?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:24 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Originally Posted by shortnugly
Perfect, that's what I'll do.

Get the alarm first, gonna toss the factory radio anyway.

Anybody make a pocket for where the factory CD is down below?

Thanks for your help.
you can install a HU in that lower din space in 96-98 civics without a dash install kit. If you do that, you might want to keep the oem HU in the upper din to fool theives. I kept mine simi-powered so I can use it as a clock.

all the harness/antenna wires reach the lower din space. Just reroute them down there.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:39 AM
96GreenCivic

Originally Posted by 18secFerio
you can install a HU in that lower din space in 96-98 civics without a dash install kit. If you do that, you might want to keep the oem HU in the upper din to fool theives. I kept mine simi-powered so I can use it as a clock.

all the harness/antenna wires reach the lower din space. Just reroute them down there.
That's a good idea and I wanted to do it. The only thing is the damn cup holder. If you need to hold a drink, you're not going to get to the HU b/c the lid will block it.

Honda does sell a pocket to replace the tape player below. It was $13 and easy to do. I wrote up a DIY on it. http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=60690