Notices

Fan won't turn on. 92 Si

Old 12-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan won't turn on. 92 Si

After all of my heating issues, I noticed that the fan isn't coming on. Checked the fuse and relay under the hood. How do I check if the fan motor is even getting power?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:16 PM
cartuner

use a Digital multimeter and measure votage on the positive side of the clip that connects to the fan.
Here is my procedure for checking my fans. If you have a/c just turn on your a/c. this will turn on both fans. If both fans come on everything is good and you'll need to check the fan switch cause this is what turns the cooling fan on when the engine gets hot. If the condenser fan comes on and not the cooling fan. Take out your multimeter and measure voltage on positive side at the fan. If theres voltage, you have a bad fan motor and if you don't have voltage, you'll need to check at the relay. eventually you'll eliminate sections of the wiring to find the problem. By the way you'll need a wiring diagram. Let me know if you need one.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Cool. Thanks for getting back to me. I had an extra fan from the old radiator . The old fan works. I tried the a/c test to get the fan to turn on. It took about a minute, but it did turn on, and stayed on for a short time. Weird thing now, though, but I could smell coolant and see smoke coming from the the bottom of the radiator from the bottom. There was a small puddle of water and coolant at the base of the radiator underneath the reservoir. What could that be? Hole in the radiator? I didn't see it leaking on the ground. I'll try again in the morning, but any suggestions would be cool. Thanks for getting back to me.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

One more thing. I got the car from someone that was running it hot towards the end of him owning it, I don't know if that was the stock fan. The old fan (the one I just put back on) has ANOTHER connector that looks like it slides between a nut and bolt. There's a small relay or something on it. What the heck is that one for? It's not looking like anything anyone is selling for a 92 Civic Si.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:19 AM
cartuner

Theres one thing I need to clear up. I forgot you had a civic and The a/c test I mention above does not pertain to civics because civics do not have a full radiator and full condensor. But you definitely got it working with the old radiator so everything looks good to me. The little thing you're talking about is probably some regulator of something. I don't quite know what it is casue I've only seen it on some civics. I have a 95 coupe and I don't have it but my brother's 92 hatch has it. I'd have to look into this but never has had any problems for my bro so unless it's been modified, don't worry about it for now.
About the car running hotter than normal. I think is time to check the whole system and replace the thermostat, radiator cap and inspect the radiator for cracks, and any clogging.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Ok... do I connect this over here?

I think the system is clogged. After driving the car for about 3 miles, the reservoir filled itself up. It was towards the bottom where the max line is. Is that normal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
radiatorfan.jpg (146.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Civic2Scooby

your thermoswitch is more than likely bad...its a little sensor that is screwed into your thermostat cover....and the easy way to test the fan is run a power wire from your batter to the connector ont he fan and a ground...if it turns on it works......my $$$ is on thermoswitch.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

I thought about that. I might even change the hole neck. The one on there is pretty beat looking from where it screws in.

THANKS. I'll check it out.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Yo... Anyone know if that cable in the picture is supposed to bolt on to the shroud support?
Old 12-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Civic2Scooby

that prong needs to be connected to the body if I am not mistaken...I think it acts as a fastener and a ground.