Notices

Car won't start? Help please!

Old 12-13-2005, 07:47 AM
flaxion10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start? Help please!

I am having trouble with my 96 civic. For some reason it will not start. It does not even turn over. It just makes a clicking sound. I tested my battery and I have a full 12.5 volts. I also checked all the fuses. The car will push start no problem. The car acts like it has a dead battery. Ie, power door locks very slow to move or don't move at all, no headlight power, no instrument panel power (sometimes). I have read through a few posts on here that are similar to my problem but not exactly the same. Any suggestions on how to solve this would be much appriciated! Thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:04 AM
darkskyracing

did you try a new alternator yet
Old 12-14-2005, 10:00 AM
flaxion10

No. How would I test the alternator to see if it was good? But the car would still start if the alternator was bad because it has a fully charged battery, right?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Try using jumper cables with another car hooked to it for more battery power. I think your battery is weak and there should be more than 12.5 volts. If it starts with the jump, get a new battery. Let us know.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:26 PM
flaxion10

I don't think it is my battery. I jump started it today and let it run for like 2 hours and then shut it off and still no start! Just makes a clicking sound sometimes when I try to start it and then sometimes no clicking sound. I really need to get this resolved soon! Any help or suggestions is greatly appriciated!
Old 12-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Wharbone

If it is starting with a jump, it's probably your battery.

In any case, go to autozone and have them test the battery, alternator, and starter. It is free.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:37 PM
flaxion10

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow! I tested my battery with a voltmeter and it mesured at 12.5 volts. How do they test the alternator/starter? Sorry if it is dumb question.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:56 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

I would also say the battery from your description. Battery could still have 12.5volts and be dead. Batteries tend to last about 3-5 years and will die after 2-3 times after totally draining your batter - ie: leaving your lights on.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:40 PM
flaxion10

O.k thanks a ton for the help! I hope that it is as simple as this! Thanks!

Gabe
Old 12-15-2005, 09:25 AM
lenny_vp

Originally Posted by flaxion10
O.k thanks a ton for the help! I hope that it is as simple as this! Thanks!

Gabe
I had a similar problem like a month ago. The alterenator was good, I bought a NEW Batterry and still the car would give me the "click" sound, like if the battery was dead. I don't know how its called but I am going to describe it to the best of my knowledge.

You know the metal round thing that goes over the negative and the positive? Well take both of them off and look on the INSIDE part of the circle, sometimes that get extremely dirty not allowing any electricity to flow smoothly. What I did was that I got something made of metak to SCRAPE the dirt off. After that I never had the problem again. (bought a battery for nothing)

Hope that helps