Notices

Remote Start For 5 Speed???

Old 12-08-2005, 08:49 AM
90GreenCiViC
92 Civic Dx D16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start For 5 Speed???

do they make a remote start for a 5 speed?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Hon

i looked into this once, and talked to some ppl. it is possible, but you need a clutch by-pass thing (i think), and some other stuff. but the places i went to said they wouldnt do it for liability reasons. they said if you leave your car in gear when you shut it off, then auto start it, it will start driving, lol, or somthing like that. but i looked into it last year. then stopped cuz it got warmer again lol. if you find more info on it, post it, cuz i still thinkin about gettin one.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:07 AM
90GreenCiViC
92 Civic Dx D16

alright ill let you no if i find any thing about them...cause its REALLY COLD here lol
Old 12-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Outxider
X-Motoring

any of those dei alarms, ie viper 791xv, clifford 3.5rs, and python 881xp, all have responder remotes with remote start on it. i have personally installed all 3 of those alarms into 5 spd cars. couple integras and civics. most important thing is clutch bypass and the user must learn not to put their car in gear anymore. but ur right, places like circuit city, best buy, wont do it on 5spd cars due to liability. its very easy to do if ur know anything about wiring. have fun.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:36 PM
lowbrow
12:00AM Atlanta time...

I have an autostart on my 5 speed. Just an Artic Start RT1WAM4R. It was designed for a 5 speed and works real well. I just have to turn my car off in a certain manner (shift to neutral, hold brake on, pull up ebrake, let off brake, shut off car.) My car will stay running for 5 mins or until I open and close the drivers door. Then it honks to let me know it is in startup mode. Sounds complicated but it was how I shut it off already. There are plenty of manual transmission autostarts. They are not all that easy to install, but they have diagrams, and some even come with instructional dvds.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

I had my local stereo shop add a remote start module to my existing Excalibur alarm in my '98 EX 5-speed. I have to remember to leave my car in neutral and put the emergancy brake on whenever I get out. If I leave it in gear, the starter motor will turn the engine over and will move the car. The locked rear wheels will typically keep it from moving without the starters help and it will just stall but it will move. However, with snow under the rear tires, it might not stall and could continue to move. I can stop the remote start from my remote and the alarm remains on and the doors locked when it starts. If the brake pedal is pushed (so the lights turn on) or the ebrake is released, the engine shuts off if the key isn't in the ignition and the steering lock also stays on until the key is used. Overall, I'm satisified with mine and glad I bought it, I just had to retrain myself to leave the car in neutral when I get out.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Most remote starters already require the E-brake to be on in order to work if they're installed properly. For piece of mind, rig a magnetic reed switch to your shift linkage with a relay-to the + wire on the starter's relay so that the starter circuit is only closed with the car in neutral. You can do this inexpensively on both cable shift and solid linkage shifters if you're creative.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Red GSR

I don't recommend remote start on a 5 speed because I know one guy who started his car right into a wall. And one time a guy was getting a new stereo installed in his car. I parallel parked his car on the street after the install. I just remember him coming back later and remote started his car. Luckily, I left it in neutral or he would have hit the car in front. This is for those who think, "oh I'm the only one who drives the car so it won't matter."
Old 12-09-2005, 01:58 AM
Outxider
X-Motoring

i have a 791 that i install myself and ur right, sometimes my car gets driven by other ppl and i have a safety cut off switch, its on all dei remote start alarms, turn it on, no remote start from the remote. i turn it on when my car is at a shop, driven by someone else, or im parked on a hill and need the car in gear. in the last 4 years i owned my car wit remote start, i never once had a mishap.

if ur smart and responsible bout it, then ur good. i install a 791 into this one doods integra, i clearly explained to him everythin he needs to know bout it. guess what, the very next day he remote started into his dads mercedez. hes an idiot. otherwise, the majority of my friends that has remote start on their 5spd cars, with common sense never had an issue with it.

Originally Posted by Red GSR
I don't recommend remote start on a 5 speed because I know one guy who started his car right into a wall. And one time a guy was getting a new stereo installed in his car. I parallel parked his car on the street after the install. I just remember him coming back later and remote started his car. Luckily, I left it in neutral or he would have hit the car in front. This is for those who think, "oh I'm the only one who drives the car so it won't matter."
Old 12-09-2005, 05:11 AM
beatertuner

A friend of mine watched a car jump off an allignment rack once cause someone left it in gear, and another someone pushed the start button. My hatch has a remote start. I always leave it in neutral. The OCD side of me checks to be sure sometimes before starting it. I could just see my car driving itself down my back yard and into the lake someday when I wasnt paying attention. My luck with cars, I wouldnt be too surpirsed.