Notices

HELP !!!! BOOST CONTROLLERS / Apexi VAFC

Old 12-01-2005, 11:42 AM
GranDeos
1997 Honda Civic EX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !!!! BOOST CONTROLLERS / Apexi VAFC

Hey Guys. Im looking for a way to squeeze some more power out of my car without breaking the bank. I recently had to get an updated computer for my car from HONDA, but i think they changed the fuel codes for emissions or something, because ever since i got that new ECU, i've noticed a significant difference...loosing kick. Especialy in the lower range RPMs. After talkin to one of my friends who work on cars.....he suggested getting a piggyback ECU Controller.....specificly the Apexi VAFC. Saying that i could correct the problem by editing the fuel distribution and when my Vtec kicks in.
Someone else though, told me to get the VENOM Boost Controller....saying it will increase my Horsepower by up to 25%.

WHAT SHOULD I DO ????????????

F.Y.I - Here is my setup....
1997 Honda Civic EX
D16y8 SOHC Vtec (swapped from a 2000 Civic EX)
Full CAt-Back Exhaust System
4-2-1 Headers
Cold Air Intake
MSD Super Conductor Wires
All new Genuine HONDA parts.... (Fuel Pump, Spark Plugs, etc..)
Old 12-01-2005, 11:55 AM
JDMPONY00

Default answer

well, your first friend was right vafc are cheap and easy to get but the hard part about them is finding a shop that will install and properly tune it through a dyno because i can mess your car up if not done properly, i have a 2000 si w/ a vafc and i got 6 whp gain after tuning, but i recently installed a bigger intake manifold and tb for my greddy turbo kit im installing, well the check engine light came on b/c the vafc was tuned for the factory manifold and tb so i had to detune it. but all in all if your sticking just with the I-H-E it was worth it for me, but once you go maore radical like turbo youll want a engine management system like hondata or emanage, so for now the afc will give you what your looking for, also it might be more cost effective if you put a cam in it because once you get the afc, get it installed,and get your car tuned you will probably have about the same money tied up in it but the cam will give you more power, and the venom boost controller which doesnt exist wouldnt be for you.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:59 PM
InfiniteVTec
The Dealer

Venom Boost Controller? wtf
Old 12-01-2005, 01:28 PM
JDMPONY00

Originally Posted by InfiniteVTec
Venom Boost Controller? wtf
hahahaha
Old 12-01-2005, 01:29 PM
JDMPONY00

i wouldnt ask that guy for advice anymore hahaha lol
Old 12-01-2005, 05:39 PM
GranDeos
1997 Honda Civic EX

Here is the VENOM thing....i dont think its a Boost Controller.....but its some sort of thing.........http://www.performancecenter.com/pro...er_VNMV21-141/

Its the Venom 400 Control Module......says it increases HP 25%, Would that be something to get.....or the Apexi VAFC ???? Or NEITHER >
I want to get more power out of my SOHC without having to break the bank by gettin a turbo.....cuz its automatic

I dont have alot of money, but i would like to go as fast as possible for as little as possible
Old 12-01-2005, 05:47 PM
JDMPONY00

dont want to be a downer but fast and cheap dont happen especially not with hondas i hate to say this but you migh try getting a mustang 5.0 faster and cheap
Old 12-01-2005, 05:50 PM
GranDeos
1997 Honda Civic EX

Well yea, this is true. I dont wanna give up on my car yet. Eventually i would like to drop in a GSR motor and get it converted to stick....then of course upgrade the internals and get a turbo kit. But for now, i was looking at these computer add-ons to try and squeeze some more power out of my little engine. So what do you guys think ???
Check out the link i posted above.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:03 PM
jeterkm02
hatchbacks r my anti-drug

that venom control module is a piece of shit. All it does is tap into your throttle position sensor and tricks the ecu to thinkin that you're giving it more throttle than you actually are. So when ur at 3/4 throttle your motor will be running as if you were at full throttle.

Your in luck though, theres a free alternative to the venom control module, that is, step on the gas more.

As for improving your motors power, you most likely will not be satisified with anything but a turbo. An intake and header are a waste of money on a d-series.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:27 PM
GranDeos
1997 Honda Civic EX

Yea see, thats the problem.....i give my car as much gas as possible. BAsicly flooring it wherever i go. But sadly I am not satisfied