Notices

Info on changing out brake shoes?

Old 11-28-2005, 04:22 PM
honda1998civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on changing out brake shoes?

1998 civic lx ----Is there any tricks or something i should be extra careful when changing out my rear brake shoes? I have never done it before but i do have a chiltons manual that i will be going on. Is it necessary to put a band around the cylinder or will it be ok if i just leave it alone and dont mess with it? If anyone has any helpful tips please leave your info. thanks
Old 11-28-2005, 10:22 PM
bambbrose

pretty simple and straightforward. Just be careful not to lose the springs etc..

You'll need to push the wheel cylinder back down, and also readjust the auto tensioner if your drum isn't fitting over the larger new pads.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:53 AM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

It makes it a LOT easier if I remove the hubs on my '92. Make sure to lube the spindle with some anti sieze to keep the hub from freezing on the spindles.

Use Vise grips to help with taking off the springs and then lay the springs on the ground laying them out like they were on the brakes so you can keep track of where they go.

Do one side at a time and don't mix parts from the left side to the right side of the car. The springs are for left or right only.

To take off the retainers, use a screw driver to push in the flat "C" spring retainer and a needle nose pliers to turn the pin.

Just don't damage the rubber boots on the cylinders.

Use anti sieze on the friction points and on the adjuster threads.