Notices

I'm lost. I have no clue why my car won't start.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Saisio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car cranks, the sparks aren't firing, the tips are wet with fuel, there's plenty of oil, the 2 grounds in the engine bay I found are intact, the car is cranking but not catching, the fuel pump passes it's self check, the check engine light comes on then goes off about 2-3 seconds later. I'm seriously confused here.

A possibility I guess that seems very very unlikely is that with the spark plug wire unplugged it shorted out the computer in the car? Is that even possible? Man, this is really starting to get on my nerves.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Maybe. Do that check to see if the CEL comes on with the key... If it does its thing, then it sounds like your coil is shot. The coil is built into the distributor, so you'd need to replace the whole thing.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Saisio

The CEL comes on with the key then goes off. And we replaced the ignitor coil and the actual ignitor and still a no go. /boggle
Old 11-26-2005, 03:28 PM
lilriceburner
>94' Civic Si Coupe

...fuel pump...go buy some starter fluid, i think it comes in a can, and just spray it into your intake, if it starts for a short while then its definitly a fuel system problem
do you have an alarm? maybe the accident triggered your ignition kll or your immoblizer...thats a possiblilty too
Old 11-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Your ECU is fine because it's passing its self check routine. If the ECU fails, that light either won't come on, or it will stay on.

There's also a cam position sensor in the distributor. Actually there are several sensors in there. Damn integrated electronics. My guess is that either the distributor is either out of adjustment, the plug wires out of order, or one of those sensors is bad.

I dunno man.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Saisio

lilriceburner: No alarm system and the fuel pump is working fine, just not getting any sparks. Doesn't start at all.

I just replaced the ignition rotor, nothing. I... am... tired... This really sucks, I just wish I knew WHAT was wrong with it so I could BEGIN to fix it. arrrggggg
Old 11-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Originally Posted by Jafro
Maybe. Do that check to see if the CEL comes on with the key... If it does its thing, then it sounds like your coil is shot. The coil is built into the distributor, so you'd need to replace the whole thing.
The coil is in the Dizzy but you DO NOT HAVE TO REPLACE THE WHOLE DIZZY. Of course you know this. I would advise you to take a ohm meter to the new coil and make sure it's fine. Do you know how to measure it? Look at my post on this thread...

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...eck+resistance

Don't give up. You have fuel but no spark, you are close to getting it. Again, you should try to borrow a whole distrbutor to put in there. There is also a way to check for voltage to the Dizzy but I can't remember it. Have you checked that you have voltage to it?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:21 PM
aznboi2394

hey saisio, i don't know if this help but my brothers, my dad and i remove a d16y8 96' honda civic ex motor and decide not to upgrade to a b16. so we reinstalled it back into the car, everything work fine for the first few minutes and we took it for a test drive, it wanted to shut down. and it never started again. we tested what we can. we even borrowed my brother's friend's ecu, distributor, fuel pump relay but no luck. we tried removing a apexi vafc that was installed on the car. still no luck. The next morning my dad found out that the ground was mounted half way on (or near, i forgot) the water thermostat housing. we tighten the screw and the car started fine. this ground is not the ground from the battery to the chassis(body) or the chassis to the engine but it is the engine ground to the ecu. it is a careless mistake but we learn our lesson. the engine mileage is around 160k so my brother is deciding to get a subaru wrx or something like that. sorry, i don't think i know the answer to your problem. my brothers, my dad, and i are not mechanics, but i'm just a 15 year old boy who help out my brother with his honda civic a lot, from the stereo to turbo. well i hope that you can fix your honda soon. good luck. if you can fix your car post up what you do to get it running. bye.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:41 AM
Saisio

I guess it's time to really look for an tests the grounds on my engine. Going to a football game first though. ^^
Old 11-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Saisio

I give up. Anyone need honda parts? This piece of shit won't start.