Notices

how hard is it to replace an alternator 01 civic

Old 11-22-2005, 04:58 AM
mdf1576

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is it to replace an alternator 01 civic

I gonna try and do it this weekend, doesnt look to hard. but I was wondering do I have to take the power steering pump off to get the alternator off? Do the belts need to be tighted to a certain spec? Should I replace the belts? Does anyone have a write up on this?
TIA
Old 11-22-2005, 05:48 AM
junior-ae

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not done the alternator on my 96, but if your car is like mine, it appears to be easier to get it out from under the car. I'm sure somebody else will have better answers on getting it out.

All the belts will have to come off, cause the alternator belt is the closest one to the engine block. You need to replace the alternator belt for sure, and as long as you've got the rest of them off, I would recommend replacing them too (how old are they?).

The belts do have tension specs for them. If you don't have a Helm's manual for your car, these specs should be in your owners manual. I don't know how different the specs are from 96 to 01, but the specs for my car are:

Alternator belt: 0.31 - 0.41 inches
Power Steering belt: 0.41 - 0.55 inches
A/C belt: 0.30 - 0.37 inches

Hope that helps, and hope somebody can give you better pointers on actually getting the alternator out.