Notices

CV axle install problem

Old 11-21-2005, 06:49 PM
jds62f

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV axle install problem

97 Civic LX manual no abs

Ok, got the old one out, went and picked up a Cardone remaned one at O'reilly.

Put the outer joint to the knuckle: check

Put the inner joint into the tranny: problem

At first, it slides in easy, and then I would guess there is about an inch or less left to go, and it stops and wont go in any further.

If I am looking at the inner joint from below, there is the thinest part that has the splines, then moving away from the splines there is a thicker band, and then there is the housing for the inboard joint. Right at the point that thicker band meets the tranny is where it stops.... what am I doing wrong?

I even drew a picture. Big X's are the inboard joint, C's are the thicker part of the shaft going into the tranny, little x's are the thinner part of the shaft with the splines. Where the C's start is where it stops going in!

XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXCCCC
XXXXXXXCCCCxxxxxxxxxxxxx
XXXXXXXCCCCxxxxxxxxxxxxx
XXXXXXXCCCCxxxxxxxxxxxxx
XXXXXXXCCCC
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX

Now with pic goodness!

That black line is how far in it goes, the distance between the black line to the thicker part below is about as long as the splines... do I just need to push harder?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

It's teh C clip on the splines. It can be a real pain in the ass. I can tear down the front and pop off the axles in like 10 minutes. Putting in the new ones once took me 3 hours. I used to be gentle and just try to push the things in. Now what I do is get a good grip on the axle and just keep shoving it in and out(sexual inuendo) until it pops in. You'll know when it pops in to. So just grease up the splines and keep like jamming it in untill it goes in. Nothing bad can really happen unless you have horrible horrible luck..
Old 11-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

I agree, I know it's not the right way to do it, but you may have to "encourage" it with a rubber mallet or something (tap it from the outboard threaded end, hit it harder if you need to get it in). I've done this several times and have never had a problem. I would deffinately put the tranny end in first and then once it's in, worry about the outboard CV joints. Otherwise you'll F-up your oil seals on the tranny. You don't want that or you'll have to go through all of this again. Be really carefull around those seals. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:55 AM
junior-ae

Agreed.

We just did the axles in my 96 EX, and they definitely take a little "encouragement." You'll definitely know when they go in. I was pretty freaked out watching the guy that was helping me when he popped the first one in back when we did the tranny. I thought he was going to snap the axle before it was even in, but it definitely takes a pretty good shove to get them in.

Highmile is right too -- make sure you do the tranny side of the axle first.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:28 AM
onegreedy

did you match up the old and new axle, make sure they are the same ??

and yes they are a real pain in the a$$ to get in