Notices

Options on racing harness in EG. Need opinions/advice.

Old 09-11-2002, 11:57 AM
saber1
nice guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options on racing harness in EG. Need opinions/advice.

I'm purchasing a Corbeau TRS and would like to pick up a racing harness. This will be only for autox as harnesses are a no-no for street driving (without a roll cage, from what I hear).

What would you recommend as far as 3 point, four point, brand name, etc? I have a full interior and want to keep it that way. Where is the best place to mount the harness? Thank in advance!

BTW: props to the person who designed the 9/11 image on the homepage. It looks great. God Bless America!
Old 09-11-2002, 12:15 PM
oc_civic
mcc racing

3 point what the hell is that??? the points are where they anchor in front of you.. not where they anchor to the car... HONESTLY any REAL domestic speed shop will probably be your best source.. mine are SFI approved which is needed at drag racing tech inspection, i do not know about autox, but basicly dated sfi approved means its the real deal...cam lock is convienient but pricey.. i have 4 sets of harness's i have 2 2inch 5pt junior dragster and 2 5pt 3in pro dragster harness.. i prefer the 2 because i use them every day and the 3 inch were a little annoying.. adn as far as the roll cage deal... if you smack the civic up SO bad that it rolls... its not going to make a differance on if you have a regular seat belt or racing harness.. **waits for everyone to disagree**

i say get 2 in lever latch 4 pt and use em every day
Old 09-12-2002, 06:33 PM
saber1
nice guy

Anyone else?
Old 09-12-2002, 07:48 PM
Mike
Banned

Originally posted by oc_civic
adn as far as the roll cage deal... if you smack the civic up SO bad that it rolls... its not going to make a differance on if you have a regular seat belt or racing harness.. **waits for everyone to disagree**

i say get 2 in lever latch 4 pt and use em every day
What the hell do you think the purpose of a roll cage is? Either way, both should do a good job of restraining you in your seat if you roll the car. My friend had a roll cage installed in his car, it's the only thing that saved his life.

As for harnesses, from what I have gathered you risk spinal injury if they are not properly mounted. In addition, since you mentioned you were autox'ing, you might not pass tech inspection if they aren't properly mounted.

Mike
Old 09-13-2002, 02:27 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

My friend has a Sabelt 3 point but it's not legal for Solo I/Hill Climbs in case you get into those. I have a Sabelt 4 point harness. Basically the companies you can go with: Sabelt, Momo, Schroth and King Dragon.

You don't need a cam lock type or the h-type. I have the regular seat belt buckle type. Easy to get in and out of. Cam locks can be a bit of a pain but well worth the investment. Make sure you don't buy a used one since the person could have been in an accident and not told you.

I'm thinking of switching mine out for a 5 point (anti-submarining) with clips instead of bolting it in.

adn as far as the roll cage deal... if you smack the civic up SO bad that it rolls... its not going to make a differance on if you have a regular seat belt or racing harness..
So you mean to tell me all these guys with roll cages in their real cars just have them in their car for weight?
Old 09-13-2002, 04:06 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I have Sparco Harnesses and they say Sabelt on parts of it so I assume they are the same company or something...
Old 09-13-2002, 04:25 AM
CivicSiRacer

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
I have Sparco Harnesses and they say Sabelt on parts of it so I assume they are the same company or something...
Basically yeah/
Old 09-13-2002, 05:31 AM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer

So you mean to tell me all these guys with roll cages in their real cars just have them in their car for weight?
no i just think it is a mute point, unless you are involved in some type of racing that puts you in a position where the car would be prone to fliping..... i think that in a car that is being raced/daily driven (on a SMALL scale), that (in my area at least) the chances of actualy rolling the car are very minute... having a cage is cool (great safety feature) and i will have one when money permits, my point just is they are not as necisary as being played out to be..
Old 09-13-2002, 11:29 AM
CivicSiRacer

no i just think it is a mute point, unless you are involved in some type of racing that puts you in a position where the car would be prone to fliping..... i think that in a car that is being raced/daily driven (on a SMALL scale), that (in my area at least) the chances of actualy rolling the car are very minute... having a cage is cool (great safety feature) and i will have one when money permits, my point just is they are not as necisary as being played out to be..
Ok then. So would you drive a car with a roll cage in an accident or one without. Sounds pretty senile to me.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:38 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

moot point captain english!

if you roll a car your skull will be crushed if youre sitting straight up. with a three point belt you have the ability to bounce off the pavement with a mild concussion, or lay down on the floor...rather than DYING.

Quick Reply: Options on racing harness in EG. Need opinions/advice.