Notices

Dome light won't work.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Pockie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome light won't work.

Okay so... a few posts back, I needed a fuse layout to find out which fuse went to my dome light, because it hasn't been working properly. I found it, the actual fuse is fine, so I looked at the light switch itself, and it was broken, but it's fixed now... Then I found that the actual circut wasn't putting power through to the fuse. (I found out that alot of the fuses aren't getting power, too, but since I don't know what those fuses go to, I don't know if they're broken or whatever... but that's not the point.) So I assume there's some kind of wiring problem? I guess?

HERE is my worry. I have an aftermarket sunroof in my car (I bought it with it in there, so I don't know any of the details of it.) I'm afraid that when that was installed, they might have cut some wires that went to the light, and that would have caused it to stop working. But would they have been stupid enough to do that? Or am I missing some other test I could do?

Any suggestions? Sorry if I sound stupid! I'm just a girl, so I don't know as much as I'd like to. I'll probably be posting alot here to try to get all the little things in my car working again (there's alot of broken stuff).

Oh yeah, and it's a 92 Civic Hatchback. Just in case that matters. Thanks! ♥
Old 10-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Many of the fuses wouldn't have power unless the key was turned to accessory or on. I would say that it is a good possibility that a wire could be cut, but don't get discouraged just yet. Have you checked the bulb? I assume you would have...
Old 10-09-2005, 06:08 AM
96GreenCivic

I'm gonna guess that they cut it. Most likely they had to move or totally relocate the dome light for the sunroof install. They had to do that to one of my aftermarket sunroofs when I had a domestic.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Pockie

Well when I bought the car there was no bulb in it at all, so I had to replace that whether I wanted to or not. I'm planning on getting my father to take a look at the wiring today, but (obviously) I don't have any of the manuals that go to the car, so I'm trying to locate a wiring diagram. Anybody know where I could find one on the internet?
Old 10-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Pockie

Argh. After looking through the online Helms manual I found in the little online resources thread, I decided that the one page that doesn't have anything on it is probably the page I needed.

http://www.televar.com/soxen/92-95-helms.pdf

Can anyone see page 947? I really want this wiring schematic.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:48 PM
junior-ae

I have the same problem, but once upon a time (before I bought my 96 EX), somebody stole the radio out of the car, and I'm guessing they busted a wire up in the dash somewhere.

When I was trying to track down the problem though, I found out that the dome light was wired into the passenger side door switch. See if you can pull out that door switch, look to see what color wire it is, and then pull out the back seat and trace the wire as far as you can. My wire runs from the passenger side under the back seat to the driver side, then up from there to the fuse box. I'm not sure exactly where it leads up to the dome light, and I've found that the wiring diagrams themselves sometimes aren't much help (or maybe I just can't read them).

Maybe that will at least give you a starting point.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:48 PM
96GreenCivic

The dome light is also wired through the head unit for 96-98.