Notices

What are these so called "serials"?

Old 09-15-2005, 05:35 AM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these so called "serials"?

Well, I dumped my problem heap off at Westbrook Honda. I'm checking in and there like oh it's a 95 LX? And I'm like yea, then my mom goes it's got a bigger engine in it. And I'm thinkin "Great, here it goes". So then he says what's it got? And I said a b16a that they use in Del sols and 00 civic si's I guess. And he says you guess? And I said well it's out of a 95 Sir2 from japan. And he just looked at me like "Hey, I'm just a desk worker what your saying makes no sense to me." Then he said he's going to charge for an hour of diagnosis and he's going to have to try to find my engines serial numbers. They said they can't do anything untill they do. Now I pretty much hobbled my car up there because of the cooling issue. If they just turn there backs to me and don't work on my car. It won't make it home.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:47 AM
qtiger

You took a modified car to a dealership?

Your life is over. Kill yourself now.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Coykiam

Well I took mine to the stealership and just one look and they said "Oh no its modifed! sorry we cant work on it!"
Old 09-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by qtiger
You took a modified car to a dealership?

Your life is over. Kill yourself now.
Fuck yes I did. Not everyone has time to give themselves a 60k tuneup in their driveway in the rain, sorry guy.

Infact they did a pretty good job. Quick about it too.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:59 AM
qtiger

In my experience, dealership mechanics are inferior to those you'll find at any good, local shop. And the local shops are cheaper.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by qtiger
In my experience, dealership mechanics are inferior to those you'll find at any good, local shop. And the local shops are cheaper.
:werd: the only reason I would go to the stealership would be warranty work.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

There is one garage in my town, and uh, there not exactly the most user friendly or honest. There really aren't any well established garages around here. I wish I knew one in the south eastern CT area.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:20 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

Im consider my self a good mechanic. I have been working on my car since i was 15 and i work at a Dealership now.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:25 AM
jweltch
Closet Ricer

All engines have a serial number on them somewhere. Not sure about our cars, but a lot of older cars had the serial numbers matched up.

They probably wanted to check yours for a couple of reasons:

1. To verify the motor isn't a stolen motor.

and

2. To find out wtf kind of motor it is since 95 LX's don't come with B16s. Now if you'd have told them that it's a motor out of <insert whatever USDM car that uses a B16 motor here> then they probably wouldn't have had any problems.

Good to hear they got you fixed up.

My question is: If you did the swap (not sure if you did or not, just guessing) then why couldn't you have done the 60k mi service yourself?
Old 09-16-2005, 06:01 AM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by jweltch
All engines have a serial number on them somewhere. Not sure about our cars, but a lot of older cars had the serial numbers matched up.

They probably wanted to check yours for a couple of reasons:

1. To verify the motor isn't a stolen motor.

and

2. To find out wtf kind of motor it is since 95 LX's don't come with B16s. Now if you'd have told them that it's a motor out of <insert whatever USDM car that uses a B16 motor here> then they probably wouldn't have had any problems.

Good to hear they got you fixed up.

My question is: If you did the swap (not sure if you did or not, just guessing) then why couldn't you have done the 60k mi service yourself?
I've done everything that needed to be done to my car myself so far. There's some tropical front comming in dumping rain on me, then there's a hurricane comming up the coast as well. I just needed this bad and wasn't able to do it in my driveway where I do all of my work.

Also I did tell them what the motor was and what it came out of. Make sure you read all the posts first.